Leaking carb... is it dead?

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Tristan

Leaking carb... is it dead?

Post by Tristan »

The other day I found a leak in my carb. While my car does run and runs pretty well, the leak bothers me. It appears to be leaking gas from the shaft near the base of the carb near the choke assembly stuff. Two of my wiser and more experienced buddies said that there is really no fixing that leak. What do you guys think? MY 289 and trans aren't ready to be swapped but I'd hate to have to put a few hundred dollars into this engine considering it won't be in this car for another year but at the same time, its my daily driver.

Share your wisdom with me guys!

Groover

Re: Leaking carb... is it dead?

Post by Groover »

Sounds like it's leaking at the throttle shaft. I believe the bushings are available, but I don't know where. I don't think a new shaft is available.

How much is it leaking? If you have good vacuum, it shouldn't really leak while running, because the fuel is sucked down the Venturi. Of course if it leaks big time, it would make your vacuum low, and that would reduce your vacuum advance.

If it's running well, and it isn't leaking too much, I'd leave it go. But others here are far more seasoned than me.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...