What's that "stuff" on my rebuilt carb?!?!

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
1964Comet404
Location: upstate, ny - owego (not to be confused with "oswego")

What's that "stuff" on my rebuilt carb?!?!

Post by 1964Comet404 »

What's that coating they use to make the rebuilt carbs look pretty? ...is that powder coat?
john v. b.

"If it aint' broke... Drive It!" ~ me

"You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: What's that "stuff" on my rebuilt carb?!?!

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Chromating (gold color) is the process used on many carbs. Is that what you're talking about? If so here is a link to the stuff to do it yourself.
http://www.caswellplating.com/electropl ... -kits.html
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

1964Comet404

Post by 1964Comet404 »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:Chromating (gold color) is the process used on many carbs. Is that what you're talking about? If so here is a link to the stuff to do it yourself.
http://www.caswellplating.com/electropl ... -kits.html

You're Awesome! That place is fantastic! ...they have everything for refinishing everything!

...and here's a couple of fun article's I found there: http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/imag ... ad_hmn.pdf http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/images/PlateIt.pdf

...your link opened up a whole new world for me... your link is like the stargate to the planet of refinishing products (Ha!)

...their stuff seems reasonable too!

...oh boy... where's my credit card, oh wait, they take paypal! ...that's the way to go...

hey Boss! Thanks for the LInk! ...gonna have lots of fun with it... :D

Here's a Carb I got from Ebay... Autolite 1101 - the grey stuff, is sort of a powdery/gritty material, and the yellow/goldish stuff is just smooth...
Attachments
Rebuilt Carb with Fresh Finish / Recoating - Autolite 1101
Rebuilt Carb with Fresh Finish / Recoating - Autolite 1101
my ebay carb 1101 a.JPG (41.79 KiB) Viewed 3395 times

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THAT lowest port at the base of the carb,can be used to hook up a VACUMN GAUGE,the other is for the dist...POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:THAT lowest port at the base of the carb,can be used to hook up a VACUMN GAUGE,the other is for the dist...POP
DIS-REGARD what I said,thats not a vacumn port,on a second look I was ahead of myself,it's the air adjustment,my bad ! POP
pop/glenda

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Hope it works good, I have never used that particular product. I have used the black oxide coating kit. Works great for parts that need that finish. Let us know if you buy it and how it works.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

1964Comet404

Post by 1964Comet404 »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:Hope it works good, I have never used that particular product. I have used the black oxide coating kit. Works great for parts that need that finish. Let us know if you buy it and how it works.
Oh Yes, of course, looking forward to posting about my carb rebuild experience... might be a while... I have a backlog of projects to complete on my Comet... and right now I don't have a garage... but I am getting one of those Shelter Logic DIY Garage kits shortly... I have quite an inventory of "stuff" for my Comet, and the oncoming weather is going to slow me down... but NOT Stop Me! ...I'm also going to get a heavy duty heated Ultra Sonic cleaner for cleaning them up real good...

...oh, just as a footnote here ...one of the latest "stuff" items in my inventory, found on Craigslist, is a set of 4 Cooper Weathermaster S/T 2 Snow Tires, mounted on Volvo rims... the tires are just about Brand New and only saw a small amount of one Winter season... and they're whitewalls! ...$150 bucks all, and the nice gentleman owner delivered them! I tell you what, I couldn't ever own a classic car... or any kind of car... or home... or dogs, or Anything without ebay and craigslist...

I've been drooling all over my keyboard every time I visit that Caswell site... I'm going to get into trouble over there...
john v. b.

"If it aint' broke... Drive It!" ~ me

"You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson