TIRED OF CARB ISSUES...WANT EFI

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Noindex

TIRED OF CARB ISSUES...WANT EFI

Post by Noindex »

I'm tired of rough idle and stalls on my 200 ci. Is it possoble to install a brand new engine with electronic fuel injection? I live in Vegas and when the engine is cool it idles terribly and stalls ocassionally but when I'm on the strip in traffic my car temp redlines nearly overheating, even in winter. The aluminum radiator and aux fan are new and it still redlines. I can't relax when i'm so worried about stalling or overheating depending on the engine temperature. Does anybody have any experience is putting an entire new engine with efi in a 64 Comet?

ants875

Re: TIRED OF CARB ISSUES...WANT EFI

Post by ants875 »

I know this is not a direct answer to your question, but if you have a new radiator and fan and the car is still overheating then something else is still wrong. Bad thermostat, water pump, hose collapsing... if the engine runs good otherwise why not try fixing that first. EFI will not fix that problem.

Ant

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I had a full post all typed out,saying about what ANT said but I erased it,but I'll back him up ,it sounds to me you could use a good ole tune up timing reset and some possible vacumn leaks fixed,,not to mention what ANT said about your heating problems,,you'd be better off to fix what you already have rather then diving into EFI,there's more to that other then fixing a 50yro motor,this is JMO,which ever road you choose to travel down ,OLE POP wishes you the best of luck....OLE POP
pop/glenda

Noindex

Post by Noindex »

When I wrote that post I had just gotten home and was feeling very frustrated. I should have posted that the water pump, thermostat, plugs, wires, hoses even the rebuilt carburetor are all new and I had already checked the timing and it was spot on. I think the engine is just old. It seems to run best at mid temperature, but when it's cold it idles rough and when it hot it redlines. The problem is in Vegas when I'm on the freeway or streets going about 40 mph it runs cold but runs real smooth until I have to stop, but when I sit in traffic in the middle of the Las Vegas Strip (where I like to take it, its's a convertible) it runs too hot and I feel like it's about to overheat. I just put a lot of time and money into the engine and it still frustrates me.....but I still love my car and will enjoy it regardless.

Thanks for the input and for letting me vent a little.

Tom

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Tom,

I can understand being frustrated, and by all means you need to be happy with your car and have the confidence to drive it where you want to go. Yes EFI will run good but if you can get your carb tuned properly it should run as good as and EFI. as for the overheating I'd start there because weather you have a carb or even a new motor if you don't have the proper cooling its going to over heat. Some almost stupid questions that I ask just to get you thinking so no offense to these, is the thermostat installed properly, what temp thermostat do you have, did it run hot before the new fan? some of the aftermarket fans do not flow enough to keep these cars cool.

Ant