incorrect autolite distributor in my 62??

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
sharkskinman

incorrect autolite distributor in my 62??

Post by sharkskinman »

Autolite C90F-12127-R
Dual advance??
I see weights under the point plate and it has a vacuum canister

I have a holley 1904 visi-flow W/spark control

Whats up with this combination??
Should i just get one designed for my 62 170 A/T??

And if i keep the dual advance distributor where do i get the correct vacuum canister

Any links to distributor identification??
Isnt C907 mean 1969??
OG 62'Comet..not named yet

comethead

Re: incorrect autolite distributor in my 62??

Post by comethead »

Here's some id info http://www.mustangtek.com/FordandMustan ... utors.html
But it doesn't show that dist number. The "O" in the C9OF means it was designed for the Fairlane. I'm not sure if that year Fairlane parts interchange with an early 6. And C9 is 1969.
I've found that Rock Auto has many original part numbers listed. I'll shoot thru there and get back to you.
Btw the dist does sound like a dual advance dist. Mechanical and vacuum. I see many eBay ads with the correct NOS Motorcraft vac advance can for cheap.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

What you have is a carb which has the 'spark control' which only works with early dist that only has a vac control diaphragm. The carb creates a vac control curve so the dist can advance the timing. The early dist doesn't have a mechanical advance so the carb provides the vac for timing advance.
The dist you have has both vac and mechical advance so it doesn't need the carb with 'spark control'.

You have several choices. 1. get a different carb that has a 'ported' vac outlet and use it with that dist. The carb you have probably doesn't have a 'ported vac' port though it may be possible to modify the carb to provide one.
2. Switch back to an early dist that can use the 'spark control' out of the carb.
But in my mind that's redundant. Better to keep the dist and get a newer version of the carb which doesn't have the 'spark control'. About 67 ford discontinued the spark control feature so a 67 and up carb would most likely have a normal ported vac connection which will work just fine with that dist.

Keep the dist and just upgrade the carb. Problem solved. Hope this clears up any misconception.
Ron

sharkskinman

Post by sharkskinman »

Update kinda

I havr an 1101 from a 50 Windsor
Fomoco and C5OFE on it(65 200?)
Auto choke, only 1 arm on the accel pump and a plug in the vent hole .. no dashpot and what Looks like a SCV but doesnt look like any ive found..no springs and a single rod coming out

Found my 62 170 A/T has an autolite W/vacuum And mechanical distributor out what i believe is a 69(#refers to a 69)
Originally a 1909? And currently running a 1904 visiflow. 1 1/2-2 turns out. Have timed at 12*, dwell perfect, 700 idle(What should total timing be???)
Cant get rid of dying when slowly cracking the throttle
And anytime throttle is cracked while driving slow to accel or any speed where throttle is just maintaining

Just trying to get proper dizzy/carb combo
OG 62'Comet..not named yet

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

That makes me wonder if the accel pump is working correctly. Do you have a mixture and idle screws? May try adjusting it out with a vacuum gauge.
ImageImage