62 Comet carb help

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
DATCOMET

62 Comet carb help

Post by DATCOMET »

Hello, new comet owner here.

my comet is all original, motor etc. 4 door manual

my question is, will a carb off a 66 mustang work on my car? i tried doing some digging but got lost. i actually have the whole motor and trans off the mustang. got it all for $100.

will the motor from the mustang, (also a straight 6) fit in the comet? i was told it will, just figured i would ask the pros here.

ill be sure to post some pics of her.

thank you

comethead

Re: 62 Comet carb help

Post by comethead »

Yes it all should bolt up to your 62 without major issues. You'll need to get creative with the trans linkage and the trans crossmember will need to be modified to fit the later side pattern C4 mount. Or you can get an aftermarket "C4 mount" from a Falcon/Comet vendor.
Mustang Falcon Comet Ranchero are all pretty much the same beast to about 1966.

Welcome to the site!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

sharkskinman

Post by sharkskinman »

sorry if this highjacks your thread but i think you might sooner or later ask the sane type of questions
im in a 62 comet as well (w/170-visiflow carb SCV/SVDA dizzy)

most carbs will work
but i have a question that might help you as well

ithe PO changed oil pumps and Dizzy
the dizzy is from 69-70
it is an SVDA(Single Vacuum Dual Advance-vac/mech)
the carb i has Still has the spark control and i have the vacuum hooked up

the carb/dizzy are missed matched (altho im getting in the upwards of about 20MPG
my feelings are that the vacuum being hooked up on that dizzy is making the vacuum advance go crazy(spark control)
almost like its missing (being that the SCV is set for Vac Only dizzy and i think its adding/subtracting advance across the throttle

the qustion in all of this IS
can i just cap vac advance at carb and run just mechanical and if so anyone know of the end RPM/timing it needs to be set at??

SCV was up to 66?
AND is a Power Valve and SCV the same??
i have a carb that appears to have a power valve but??
OG 62'Comet..not named yet

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Since you have a later dist with mechanical advance you no longer need to stick with a carb with SCV function. You could cap the SCV port but why not just get a later carb which no longer has that function. It would have a normal ported vac advance port which will work with your dist much better. You have much more choice in carbs now and are not locked in to using only an SCV equipped carb.

The power valve should be a seperate part on a later carb. Don't know about an SCV equiped carb.
Ron