Uncle Sam's Pie Eating Contest

Activities of Interest to Comet Owners not sponsored by members

Uncle Sam's Pie Eating Contest

Postby hotrodbrando » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:24 am

Hey all, I'm new to the forum (just got my '64 Convertible) but not new to the Ford/Merc scene when it comes to vintage racing. I am part of the Meltdown Drags Association, the group that puts on the Meltdown Drags every year in Byron, IL. If you haven't heard of it, we put on the largest period correct vintage drag race in the county, 1966 and earlier. (67 included if body style didn't change). Anyway, that event is a huge success and in it's 9th year this summer. Over 450 cars run and over 15K people attend to watch. Well, we decided to launch an event this year that's even MORE period correct. That would be the Uncle Sam's Pie Eating Contest. Vehicles (cars, dragsters, altereds and bikes) 1966 and older must run pie crust slicks, just like they did back in the day. Additionally, there are no burnouts or dry hops of any kind. Basically because they weren't doing those quite yet. The criteria of the cars is pretty strict, nothing obviously modern on the car. Once you get past that, it's wide open. The Gas class is the biggest but we also have Super Stock and FX.

So, regardless of whether your car is bone stock or hopped up, as long as you have pie crusts and meet the criteria, you can come run and be competitive. Vehicles will make 3 runs in the morning to establish a time. Then, the vehicles will be grouped by that time and you race till you lose... So, basically, you can have a bone stock Comet run against a bone stock Chevelle, or something like that, and race door to door down the track. We are really trying to bring back the early days of drag racing and make it so just about anyone can come out and run.

Personally I will be piloting my 1953 Mercury Montery gasser "Quicksilver". Powered by a hipo 289 and 4 spd. Not the fastest thing in the world but it's fun... Next year the wife will run the '64 Comet.

Long story short, the event is the first weekend in June. If you live close to Byron and want to run, go ahead and register. You can find the event on facebook or let me know if you want me to send you the info. If ya don't want to run, show up, bring your car, whatever. It will be a blast. We already have a bunch of magazines that are going to be there covering the event since nobody has done this since the mid 60's. Radir Wheels has also signed on as our title sponsor and will be giving away 4 sets of pie crust slicks at the event...

Ok, enough rambling... come and have fun. I'd love to see a bunch of FOMOCO sheet metal there... too many Chevys... I'm driving from NC so it's a long haul for me!
Thanks,
Brandon
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible (project state)
1953 Mercury Gasser "Quicksilver"
1946 Ford Sedan Coupe
1941 Ford Business Coupe
1949 F1 Pickup (another project!)
hotrodbrando

Re: Uncle Sam's Pie Eating Contest

Postby 65 hipo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:40 am

I have signed up to race at the Meltdown this year. But I haven’t heard anything yet.
1965 Hi-Po Cyclone
1995 Mustang GT
65 hipo

Postby hotrodbrando » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:24 pm

You HAVE GOT TO bring that to the Uncle Sam's!! It's perfect!

Jeff (third in command) is cranking though all the entries... It's tough and time consuming... email me your info and I will nudge it...

meltdownswag at gmail .com

Will see you there!

But seriously, bring that to the Pie Contest! June 2nd, same track...
1946 Ford Sedan Coupe
1941 Ford Business Coupe
hotrodbrando

Postby 65 hipo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:44 am

Last night I signed up to run at the Uncle Sam’s race and they excepted me. So, I will see you there. It sounds like fun and can’t wait to be there.
1965 Hi-Po Cyclone
1995 Mustang GT
65 hipo

Postby hotrodbrando » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:41 am

65 hipo wrote:Last night I signed up to run at the Uncle Sam’s race and they excepted me. So, I will see you there. It sounds like fun and can’t wait to be there.

Awesome. I have a feeling you will get the Meltdown acceptance tonight :D
1946 Ford Sedan Coupe
1941 Ford Business Coupe
hotrodbrando

Return to Comet Related Events