Floor pan replacement

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Lip Ripper

Floor pan replacement

Post by Lip Ripper »

I know there has been speculation about the pan's being the same on Falcons, 60-65. I ordered the new Dynacorn complete pan for my 61 Falcon plus the left and right toe kick's. They are supposedly the same 60-65. The left side is fine but the right sides reinforcement rib's are about an inch and a half off. The toe board's I find out are from Autocrafter's. I purchased everything from Falconparts.com. I called to report my problem. She called back and said that Autocrafter's had sold hundred's and that was the first they'd heard of it. She suggested I call them. I did, left a message and he called back. When I explained it he said; "you have an early model right"? I said yes. He said the mold's were for the 63 hardtop's and 64/5 models. He said I would have to reform the rib's. $97.25 plus freight for nothing more than a piece of steel.

SW
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

redhotcomet

Re: Floor pan replacement

Post by redhotcomet »

Were they listing as fitting 60-65?
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Yes, and if you've never replaced a whole floor pan you're missing a lot of blood sweat and pain's. I've been carving on this sucker all day and part of yesterday. It would've been easier had the guy before me not patched it up.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

just tried looking myself for my 62 comet...I don't see anything

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

My question is what is the correct gauge for the metal. Auto Krafters list both 18ga. and 19ga. I never heard of 19ga.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

There is speculation that they're the same for both bodies. I haven't measured it but it is not thin. It feels every bit as thick as OE. I'll hit it with my calipers and share. I don't know how gauge converts to actual measurement.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

captian_napalm wrote:My question is what is the correct gauge for the metal. Auto Krafters list both 18ga. and 19ga. I never heard of 19ga.
The floors in my 65 measured 18 gauge so that is what I used to make new panels. 18 gauge is about1/20th (05") inch.

Lou

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Lip Ripper wrote:There is speculation that they're the same for both bodies. I haven't measured it but it is not thin. It feels every bit as thick as OE. I'll hit it with my calipers and share. I don't know how gauge converts to actual measurement.
FYI:
https://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scal ... metal.html
Jim

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Jim, it's 18 gauge.

KB64

Post by KB64 »

Hate to be a come lately...but I was sorta leaning towards the Dynacorn full as it seems it would look better than the patched in panels. So my question is anybody used it in the 64 hrdt? Also, Lip Ripper any pit falls, tips,etc etc would be greatly appreciated.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

The quality is high. The toe kicks suck. I think they're from autokrafters.

The method I used of laying the floor in, tracing the sub frame's then raising it up one side at a time and drill holes from underneath worked well for me. When I laid the floor back down I was able to plug weld the floor to the sub frame's. Some of the rear I had to measure from the top because I couldn't trace all of it. There is a galvanized coating on the frame rails so I tried to remove all of that. I stitched the sides. There were 4 holes in the floor and I didn't know why. I found that there are four matching holes in the sub frames to use for aligning the pan into place.

KB64

Post by KB64 »

Some good info right there Lip Ripper! Thanks a ton. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go with the full floor.

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

I just got back from a shop for a quote for floor pans. Quoted me around $3400.saying it would take a week...And that's just labor, I got to buy the pans.....Anyone replace theirs in a 62, and how long did it take the shop?

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

46.5 hours of blood sweat and beer is what it took me. Not including the time it took to remove upholstery.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

captian_napalm wrote:I just got back from a shop for a quote for floor pans. Quoted me around $3400.saying it would take a week...And that's just labor, I got to buy the pans.....Anyone replace theirs in a 62, and how long did it take the shop?
As for a shop, Floor pans are floor pans. I would think 40 hrs for a shop to complete.

Do you know the shops labor rate? I am guessing 75@hr plus 400 in material.

There are a lot of variables to consider. You taking car with interior still in it or are you taking them a shell? Or something in between?

You doing whole pan as Ripper did or going with the sections?

Are they doing the complete job cutting out, installing, and finishing or are they putting the floor in and you finishing?

Price doesn't sound bad but without the specifics hard to tell