Can I save our 1966 Cyclone Convertible?

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Lou's Comet

Re: Can I save our 1966 Cyclone Convertible?

Post by Lou's Comet »

Fastercat wrote:My paint/body guy says he can do it ... I've seen the kind of things he saves, and this one is similar to a 54 chev convertible that he just showed me which he has on a rotisserie right now ..

The biggest questions I have now, are:

how different is a comet convertible inner rockers from a standard (coupe) or 4-door comet ?
how different is a comet cyclone convertible inner rockers from a fairlane convertible, coupe, or 4-door rockers
54 Chevy convertible has a full frame, your Comet is a unibody construction.

Comet and Cyclone coupes and Comet 4 doors Do Not have inner rockers!! Only Comet and Cyclone convertibles have inner rockers! The inner rocker would be the same for a comet convertible and a cyclone convertible. And I would assume Fairlane "convertible" of the same year would fit.
The body guy thinks it may be possible to just cut down and stitch inner/outer rockers from a 4-door ?
You may want to look for a new body man.

The inner rocker is structural!! And a pretty big job. It is a big/long 14 gauge steel boxed rail, that runs from the front firewall/toe board to the rear inner wheel well, is tied into everything. Attaches to outer rocker, floor pan, front and rear torque boxes, rear inner wheel well, front firewall, and to the seat cross brace that is also convertible specific.

This is not a easy job, nor is it a job for amateurs. Hard tops and sedans have a roof which adds support to the car, convertibles don't have that support. When the top is down on a convertible the inner rocker keeps the car from bending in the middle esp when the doors are opened. This is not a job you want to skimp on or patch/piece work together!

You need to take measurements of your door openings, unless they are already off because of the damaged inner rockers. Then you would need factory measurements from crash sheets for your car. The car needs the door openings braced and car needs supported 6-10 different ways so it doesn't bend/distort/ change while you cut out the old and install the new.

Your best bet would be fabricating new inner rockers out of 14 gauge steel, or contact the guy Groover posted info on to see if he has the specs to make a set and going from there. Finding a good donor set and cutting them out would be a lot more work and time than fabbing new ones.

This is something you want right!

Lou

poboyjo65

Re: Can I save our 1966 Cyclone Convertible?

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea what Lou said! :)

66 & 67 4dr & 2dr sedans ''outer'' rockers would probably work. sedans have the same wheelbase as HT's & vert's,so I dont see why they wouldn't be alike. fairlane should work too.

stay away from wagons,they have a shorter wheelbase.

Have you pulled the carpet out yet? I would not count on the floors being good by what the bottoms look like. chances are you'll need work there too.
Johno