rust lotions and potions

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Kingspeedy2

rust lotions and potions

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

There are no shortages of snake oil salesman when it comes to rust products. there are removers. convertors, inhibitors ,encapsulators ,primers ,topcoats .its almost endless.We need a good thread on the chemicals people have tried
some treat the problem chemically and some eliminate oxygen and moisture from getting in to stop the reaction.
I am getting close to media blasting my body and doors.Just waiting for it t dry up a bit
I was planning on using Eastwoods afterblast product on it to prevent flash rusting .(it says no rinsing required) I assume its phosphoric acid .Then I wash the car down with a wax and grease remover and then epoxy prime it.
Has anyone used Eastwoods after blast? their site depends on customers to supply answers it seems?
after a 2week test application on a sanded fender ,flaky black spots showed up .I assume its the phosphoric acid with the rust.
I would think you would want to neutralize any acid before painting over it. I didn't get a chance to see if it would wipe off with a little more afterblast.
I can rinse the bigger areas with water ,but I don't want to create another problem since I am trying to prevent it from rusting..

What should I be treating the areas that I cant get at with the media,and after blast
its a chemical soup I tell you.
Por 15 seems to be a popular item on this site an others,maybe I should spray that into those hard to reach spots.(ensuring not to plug the drain holes )
your thoughts on my ramblings?

poboyjo65

Re: rust lotions and potions

Post by poboyjo65 »

Eastwood has a primer or something that has a hose for getting inside the frames & places like that. & I just saw a laser beam machine that is suppose to remove rust. I dont know anything about either but thought I'd mention it.
Johno

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

the product I am going to use after lots of research is called rust bullet.. you can spay brush or roll on, and its used by the govt.
Last edited by captian_napalm on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

After blasting, sand with a da and 80grit, wipe down with wax/grease remover, 2 coats epoxy. Done! Been doing it for years with great results.

Areas with rust that you can't get to POR 15.follow the instructions on the POR. If you want to paint over the POR there is a short window of time to do so. But if you spray epoxy over the POR then you can come back later and sand epoxy to spray topcoat if desired.

Lou