Painting Emblems

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Jims65cyclone

Painting Emblems

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Does anyone have a good technique for painting trim emblems? Example: the black checkers in a Cyclone flag. It's hard to get crisp lines just using a brush. Is there a good way to paint the recesses (negatives) and wipe the overage from the positive areas without messing up what you just painted? :?
Jim

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Painting Emblems

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

65 Cyclones have red checkers, 64 have black. I used a touch up paint from parts store, Ford race red, it has a little brush inside that works ok for contolling the paint. Don't overload the brush and take your time.

ImageImage
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I use a black sharpie marker. Doesn't last very long but its easy to do and looks good for awhile.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jim I used Testors model paint.
I laid the emblem flat and filled the recessed areas with paint using a toothpick. I pushed the paint around to fill the corners. Any over-painted areas I cleaned with a q-tip before it dried. Or I let it dry and then scraped the paint from the high areas with a toothpick. Takes time and patience, and I used a magnifying glass in some areas.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

anoNY42

Post by anoNY42 »

I snicker at Cyclone owners with their tiny checkered flags! 404 4ever!!!!1!!!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Gives us something to do. Keeps us out of trouble. :twisted:

I had an epiphany after I posted this thread. I remembered seeing paint pens somewhere in a magazine, so I did some net searching and found this at Hobby Lobby.
http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbie ... r/p/136033
Says it works on glass surfaces, so should work on slick metal. Not sure about the "alcohol based pigment", but it says it's permanent and weather resistant. Comes in the colors I need, and there's a Hobby Lobby a few miles from my house. I think I'll give it a try. :)
Jim

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Looks about the same as the touch up paint I showed above. It has a pen side and a brush side. Good luck, let us know how it works.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Boss....thanks for the tip on the red checkers. Mine are so badly faded I can't tell what color they were originally. They're just solid silver. I didn't realize the paint you recommended had a brush AND a pen. I wasn't having too good luck using a brush, and the paint pen seemed like a good self-feeding version of Joe's toothpick technique, so I was just looking for pens. I'll check out your touch-up paint, too.
Jim

sursmilie64

Post by sursmilie64 »

I use a paper match. tear it or cut it at a sharp angle.

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Eyeliner brush...my wife saves them for me. Super fine tip,not affected by any harsh solvents.

ezpz

Post by ezpz »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Mon May 02, 2016 5:30 pm
Gives us something to do. Keeps us out of trouble. :twisted:

I had an epiphany after I posted this thread. I remembered seeing paint pens somewhere in a magazine, so I did some net searching and found this at Hobby Lobby.
http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbie ... r/p/136033
Says it works on glass surfaces, so should work on slick metal. Not sure about the "alcohol based pigment", but it says it's permanent and weather resistant. Comes in the colors I need, and there's a Hobby Lobby a few miles from my house. I think I'll give it a try. :)
Jim

Jim, I thought I’d dig this thread back up seeing as I’m trying to restore my old emblems. Did the paint pens work? Sorry if you’ve already posted the outcome somewhere else. My grille emblem is so faded you can’t even tell what the colors were. Thanks Jim!

Ashley

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

It's been 6 years, so the memory has faded a little. I looked at the pens at Hobby Lobby, and it seems like there was something I read on the label that turned me off on them. They've apparently discontinued those pens since my link draws a blank now. I searched "paint pens" on their site and found some others that might work, but the reviews were mostly terrible. I ended up using the Testors model paint and a tooth pick, like Joe suggested, instead. There are hundreds of paint pens on Amazon, though. Let us know if you find a good one. :D

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I use Dupli-Color pens for touch up. You can find them @ most retail parts houses.
They also have a very thin brush included in the pen. You may be able to dot with the pin and finish out w/ toothpick for sharp detail work.
Always used Testor's and toothpick in the past.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

ezpz

Post by ezpz »

Thanks for the replies! Might have to do some testing with the pens.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

What ever you use, you'll find it much easier to do if you can remove the emblem and paint it with it laying on a flat surface rather than vertically on the car. Of course, removing the emblems can be it's own PITA. :roll:

Jim