chrome vinyl wrap

Discussions about general body work and modifications
loman

chrome vinyl wrap

Post by loman »

I was pitted next to a beautiful AMX at the Hot Rod Reunion. This guy came all the way from Canada for the race. Anyway, I was talking to him and he pointed out that his bumpers were fiberglass and he had them wrapped with Chrome vinyl wrap. They looked great. He said he had the original bumpers rechromed but since the wrapped fiberglass ones turned out nice he decided to leave them on. If I remember correctly, the wrap wasn't cheap and was $200-$300 in materials. Then he said, he paid someone a couple hundred bucks to install wrap. The guy who installed the wrap told him it would be easier to wrap a steel bumper as opposed to the fiberglass one that bends and twists as he tugs on the wrap to install it. It costed him more to have the 2 original steel bumpers rechromed. Has anyone here had any experience with the chrome vinyl wrap? I don't know how durable it would be for a street car, especially a front bumper, but it may be a cheaper alternative for someone who isn't looking for show room quality chrome and doesn't have the money for rechroming. You might even be able to wrap the chrome part of the dash bezel.

lavron
Site Admin

Re: chrome vinyl wrap

Post by lavron »

Sounds like I need too Google that.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I looked into that,WAY TOO Expensive for me,plus you have to be very careful with them!!! JMO,ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I wonder if thats the same sort of stuff they use in place of chrome on new vehicles.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

65clevorcyclone

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

The chromed plastic on new vehicles is vaccum plated as far as I know. Its not a wrap

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Plastic parts on cars is still done the same way, just different elements to bond the chrome to.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

speaking of AMX's,my son in law has a 1970 AMX with a 401 2x4's ,4spd that he has taken out of state to AMC meets and wins,this is one nice oddity,,,ALBERT,if you happen to read this ,he has a set of your favorite whls on it :wink: :shock: ,,,( when I 1st saw his choice of whls ,I ask GLENDA,what in the world does our daughter see in him?,,she said Robert LOVE is blind...I sais reckon so,but STEVIE WONDER or RAY CHARLES could pick a better whl then that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: pop
pop/glenda