Air Compressors

Discussions about general body work and modifications
caseville cyclone

Air Compressors

Post by caseville cyclone »

Well my 5 HP, 60 gal. Craftsman air compressor is on it's last leg. I've rebuilt the compressor 2 times,new pistons, rods and sleeves,now the motor gets hot and stops. Wait for cool down period and it starts again. I'm tired of using air tools and it runs out of air. I'm looking at Ingersol Rand or Dewalt 80 gal 5 HP two stage compressors to replace the old one. I've read reviews and they seem the same,although some say the IR seems to burn up motors. Tractor Supply has the IR on sale for $999.00 right now and in stock. Lowes has the Dewalt for $1404.00 and I have to order it and it will be shipped to the store. I want a compressor that will be able to prime a car and run my air tools with no problems. I figured Lou or anybody that work on car bodies would have some suggestions on what direction to go. IR or Dewalt, 60 or 80 gallons but definitely two stage. Thanks for any HELP!!! Andy

Lou's Comet

Re: Air Compressors

Post by Lou's Comet »

caseville cyclone wrote:Well my 5 HP, 60 gal. Craftsman air compressor is on it's last leg. I've rebuilt the compressor 2 times,new pistons, rods and sleeves,now the motor gets hot and stops. Wait for cool down period and it starts again. I'm tired of using air tools and it runs out of air. I'm looking at Ingersol Rand or Dewalt 80 gal 5 HP two stage compressors to replace the old one. I've read reviews and they seem the same,although some say the IR seems to burn up motors. Tractor Supply has the IR on sale for $999.00 right now and in stock. Lowes has the Dewalt for $1404.00 and I have to order it and it will be shipped to the store. I want a compressor that will be able to prime a car and run my air tools with no problems. I figured Lou or anybody that work on car bodies would have some suggestions on what direction to go. IR or Dewalt, 60 or 80 gallons but definitely two stage. Thanks for any HELP!!! Andy
I have the IR 80 gal 5hp two stage from tractor supply. Had it for a little over 2 years now. Couldn't be happier with it. It replaced my 5hp 60 gallon compressor, cambell hausfield??? BIG difference, way better.

Here is the one I bought

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... sor-80-gal

If your old one is done you can add the tank from the old one to the new system for more reserve. My old one still worked but just didn't keep up so I sold it and bought the IR

I no longer have any problems with the compressor keeping up. If I am sandblasting I stop once in awhile to let it cool off.
But even with blasting it does good. Even catches up with the blaster sometimes. Plenty of air for everything else, No problem at all with spraying a car. Make sure your air hoses are at least 3/8's.

I am very happy with it!! Been very happy with the IR brand over the years, air tools etc. recently bought a IR regulater/water separator from TS and it also works well

Lou

ants875

Post by ants875 »

We have a shulz air compressor at our shop, it's a 7.5 hp which o know is bigger then you need but we've had it for 12 years and not a problem with it. I run my mechanic shop and my father in law runs his body shop off the same compressor, so we have really worked it and it has held up great. I know they make the size your looking at, might be worth looking into for you.

Ant

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Thanks Lou and Ant for the quick response!! I going to go with the IR at TS,good price and on sale to boot. Ant I'm sure your recommendation is good also but it might be a little overkill for me. I have a lot of air tools and a small sandblaster so I think the IR will work for me. Thanks gentlemen,I appreciate your help. Andy (P.S.going to get it tomorrow while in stock.)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lou's Comet wrote:If your old one is done you can add the tank from the old one to the new system for more reserve.
That sounds like a great idea with the 80 and 60 gallon tank you would be able to sand blast better.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

MyI IR two stage is probably 4 year's old. Great compressor. It did blow a head gasket when it was probably 3 months old. They sent a service tech over from Tampa and I was fixed in 2 day's. I would buy another if needed.

SW
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

I have heard that Atlas is a real good air comp..