fiberglass parts??

Discussions about general body work and modifications
ants875

fiberglass parts??

Post by ants875 »

So I'm going to be going with a fiberglass hood, the one they used on the craftsman car, and have been thinking about also going with fiberglass fenders and bumpers. Anyone used the ones from crites? I'm wondering how well the fit and hold up. I think that I've read they have pretty good quality but would like to hear what your thoughts are.

Thanks,
Ant

Lou's Comet

Re: fiberglass parts??

Post by Lou's Comet »

ants875 wrote:So I'm going to be going with a fiberglass hood, the one they used on the craftsman car, and have been thinking about also going with fiberglass fenders and bumpers. Anyone used the ones from crites? I'm wondering how well the fit and hold up. I think that I've read they have pretty good quality but would like to hear what your thoughts are.

Thanks,
Ant
I have the crites hood for my car, it wasn't nearly as bad as the fenders and trunk lid but still took A LOT! of hours to make it right. ( actually just got it to the point it is right yesterday) I also had their fiberglass fenders and trunk lid. The fenders were terrible and the trunk lid not much better. The fenders were very thin, and would have needed a stupid amount of work to make right, ran a straight edge down the top inner edge of fender. The edge that lines up with the hood (hood/fender gap) had gaps between straight edge and fender edge 3/8's in places. Fender to door edge same thing way off. Plus IMO would have needed reinforced for the headlight extension and where it mounts to bottom of A pillar/windshield post.
The trunk was thicker but didn't fit, edges were off, bottom edge were it met tail panel was off pretty bad.

I sold the fenders and trunk, cheap! I have worked with quite a few fiberglass parts over the years. And did more than a few Vettes. These were the worst I have dealt with. IMO these are for race cars where fit and looks don't really matter.

Lou

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Lou,

Thanks for the input, I think you just made up my mind! I'll fix my fenders, they are solid just have a few dents and some old body work that was not done well. I was hoping to be able to save a little weight and also not have the car laid up to long so I thought I could get the fiberglass ones and straightened them and then just swap them for my originals faster but I guess that plan is not going to work. The worst part about me car is the last guy who painted it must have had something in his air and he used some cheap paint. It's got spots all over the car that don't sand off easily and the paint clogs the paper like I've never seen. When I did the roof even 80grit barely got it off, I might have even used some 36 grit to try and speed it up. Anyway it's doable just takes time

Thanks again,
Ant

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Ant, I purchased the Crites hood and seemed good to me although my car will look like a race car definitely not a show car. I just cut a hole in the bottom of the hood so the ram air ducts are functional. Boy that was nerve racking,I have an air pan kit from Moroso to install yet. Any way getting back to fiberglass parts,I purchased the fiberglass fenders from Randy Delisle in New Jersey but after I purchased my 1965 Cyclone from EC164,the stock fenders were in great shape so I sold the fiberglass fenders to a person in Texas called Texas Thunder. I also bought the front and rear fiberglass bumpers from Crites which I think are quality parts. I also purchased the front fiberglass bumper brackets and tubular bars,everything fit real well. I have the front bumper mounted and it feels really solid,all you have to do is drill the holes for the bumper bolts. I ordered the rear bumper because everyone was saying Crites takes forever to make new parts. I thought I would call to give them some lead time,and they had it in stock. The rear is not installed yet but it is a quality part. Andy

StPro

Post by StPro »

I bought all the Crites 65 Comet fiberglass parts for my 65. I trial fit all the parts when they arrived and inspected the finish on all the parts. I did not find any flaws or shrinkage that is not common with fiberglass parts. My last Cervini hood was great looking and straight but the hood was so heavy you could throw your back out lifting it off the car. My Crites parts are not mounted presently on my car yet so as the fiberglass finishes curing we will see if things change. Fiberglass can take 6 month to a year to finish curing and stop shrinking. The more heat the faster the cure. That is why 60's cars with glass hoods were mostly matt black to help hide shrinkage.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

StPro wrote:I bought all the Crites 65 Comet fiberglass parts for my 65. Fiberglass can take 6 month to a year to finish curing and stop shrinking. The more heat the faster the cure. .
There isn't much of that,,,,(heat) up your way lately according the weather channel,, lol
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

Dealing w Crites can be a mixed bag. Was told 3weeks to make and deliver hood and front fenders. Two months later was still being bs'd and requested to speak to Mr. Crites. Lady called me back and said, " oh, they are sitting on the loading dock....we'll ship right out..."
Gotta wonder how long they were sitting. Yea, the quality is something you have to work with. They need a good bit of finishing. Was gonna go with their doors also but didn't want to go through all the crap again....just my 2 cents....mac

StPro

Post by StPro »

SASSY wrote:
StPro wrote:I bought all the Crites 65 Comet fiberglass parts for my 65. Fiberglass can take 6 month to a year to finish curing and stop shrinking. The more heat the faster the cure. .
There isn't much of that,,,,(heat) up your way lately according the weather channel,, lol
Fred
Six more days and the days start getting longer, more sun more heat. Woo Hoo
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

StPro

Post by StPro »

I made glass hood, fenders, lower valance and trunk lid for my 71 Comet back in 1976. It is a lot of work to make any glass parts look like steel parts. My Crites parts are heavy enough to hold shape vary well.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Thanks for all the input, since my cat is a street car I think I'll fix my fenders but will go with fiberglass bumpers and hood.

Ant

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

GasserMac wrote:Dealing w Crites can be a mixed bag. Was told 3weeks to make and deliver hood and front fenders. Two months later was still being bs'd and requested to speak to Mr. Crites. Lady called me back and said, " oh, they are sitting on the loading dock....we'll ship right out..."
Gotta wonder how long they were sitting. Yea, the quality is something you have to work with. They need a good bit of finishing. Was gonna go with their doors also but didn't want to go through all the crap again....just my 2 cents....mac
Have you ever been to Crites place? A friend ordered up a bunch of stuff for a T Bolt project quite a few yrs back so we decided to go to spring Columbus and pick up the parts in person. Mrs. Crites was in the office and told us that Charles was down in one of the other buildings.First building we went in,nobody there but a big ol German Shepperd sleeping on the hood of a Boss 429. There were several other high dollar cars sitting there covered in dust.All cars looked to be finished. Finally ran into a young girl who said he was outside mowing.Finally got him cornered and we started collecting the parts.Two hrs later,everything in the truck.These people were definitely in no hurry but,after breaking the ice,had the nicest conversation with Charles and the Mrs. They had very interesting stories about the cars they owned and saw,the racers and wrenchers they knew,legends in their time. We were basically awe struck.Could have spent the rest of the day there.
Buying from these guys can be frustrating but I honestly don't believe it's on purpose.

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

Don't get me wrong...I am pleased with the overall quality of the parts. Pretty good actually. When placing the order, was told 3 weeks....Can't help but wonder how much better they would do if their customer service improved....oh well...mac