Dismantling a Comet for parts

Discussions about general body work and modifications
pugs65

Dismantling a Comet for parts

Post by pugs65 »

Ok guys. I went and looked at 2 Calientes today. I will be taking partial quarters out of one and possibly floor pans out of the other one. Is the floor spot welded in from the factory or welded and glued? Want to do it the best and easiest way which is probably two different things. Any info would be much appreciated, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

poboyjo65

Re: Dismantling a Comet for parts

Post by poboyjo65 »

The floors are spot welded ,then a sealer is on top. across the front & back you can just cut out extra metal & trim it later. but the sides would depend on what you want . if you want to retain the flange of the floors where is is welded to the rockers you'll have to remove the sealer then drill out the spot welds, but that is a lot of aggravating drilling .or if you still have good metal at the sides of your car you could just cut the donor close to sides & lap it,, would be the easiest way . there are a few different ways to do it ,just what ever is best for you.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

As John said the floors are spot welded. IMHO the best and easiest way is drill the spot welds out. Makes for a much nicer job.

Get some good double sided 1/8" drill bits and a Blair spot weld cutter with a couple extra bits. Grind where the spot welds are to remove sealer and see where the spotwelds are. Center punch the spotwelds, drill pilot hole with 1/8" bit then use the spotweld cutter. You just want to use the spot weld cutter on the top layer/piece (floor) and not thu both pieces, if you watch as you use it you will usually see a puff of rust come of the cutter as you drill thru the top layer/piece.

It does take longer to take it apart this way, but you will get into a rhythm , and it will make it much easier to weld back together and a much nicer job wen done. And to be honest prob a little quicker when all is said and done.

Lou

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Thanks for the input guys. I'm planning on cutting spot welds so it will be easier to put back in. That is if the floors are worth saving. Thanks again, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

A couple of suggestions and questions.
Are you doing this work at a junk yard or at you own place? If you have the time and equipment removing the floor by cutting the spot welds along the inside of the rocker panels is the best method. If you are doing this in a place that the car will be junked or not movable when you are finished I would cut the whole floor out right through the rocker panels and all the way from the rear seat to the firewall. Many years ago I did this at a yard in Texas and shipped the whole floor in a mattress box as luggage on the plane I flew home on. When I installed the floor I trimmed the donor floor to fit. It was much better to have extra donor metal than to be too short.
What year cars are these? I am looking for a pair of rust free rear inner wheel houses and '64 rear 1/4 panel parts.
What ever method you use cut the parts longer so you have plenty to work with later.
Having the donor floor chemically stripped before trying to install it will make welding it it so much nicer.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

A/FX these are 65's. I will be doing this at my own pace. My buddy is going to let me store them at his storage lot under a shed till I get them stripped of what I need.
302 roller
4 speed

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

someone just started making a replacement floor pan for the 65 ,I think it was $500 or so ,a little pricey perhaps and it sounds like your committed in this case but just for info sake .If I can find out who makes it I will post a link

comethead

Post by comethead »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:someone just started making a replacement floor pan for the 65 ,I think it was $500 or so ,a little pricey perhaps and it sounds like your committed in this case but just for info sake .If I can find out who makes it I will post a link
Your right Dynacorn just started making a full floor. Dearborn classics sells them https://www.ecklers.com/ford/falcon-hea ... Apxl8P8HAQ
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

By the looks of the picture a Falcon floor is different than a Comet. (At least a '64 Comet) the wheel base is stretched behind the doors on a Comet, if the replacement floor continues under the back seat so it will not fit a Comet. The area under the front seat also looks much different than any '64 Comet I have seen.
I am sure there are certain areas of the Dynacorn floor that can be trimmed to fit a Comet but not the complete assembly.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

The falcon floors are the same as comets,at least the hard tops are. the comet is stretched behind the back seat, it starts just behind the floor skin lap. they share the same roof,all glass,seat frames,package tray,carpet & floor skins. the difference is under the floor skins the falcon has a shorter (front to rear) torque box, leaf spring mount is more forward on a falcon. the other difference is the falcons rear frame is steeper & taller over the rear end ,comet has a more stretched hump over the rear. also the front of the tubs are in the same place, but the wheel opening on the quarters are moved back on comets

Here is the new falcon floor laid in on top of a 63 comet hardtop

Imageupload images free

He said the only differences he could see was the seat belt mounts. every bead & fold looks identical to my 65 floors, which I became very intimate with. :roll:
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

That looks totally different to the floor in my '64 Cyclone. It may fit dimensionally but the tunnel for sure is different alnong with the area under the seats.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A/FX wrote:That looks totally different to the floor in my '64 Cyclone. It may fit dimensionally but the tunnel for sure is different alnong with the area under the seats.
do you have one of the light weight racecars? maybe those are different. :? & of course with the back seat risers installed it will look a little bit different,also it should get another layer of metal over the torque box.
Johno

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:someone just started making a replacement floor pan for the 65 ,I think it was $500 or so ,a little pricey perhaps and it sounds like your committed in this case but just for info sake .If I can find out who makes it I will post a link
Kingspeedy2, not committed, I have to take both cars or neither. I went looking for quarters. One has solid wheel openings which is what I need. Also need some trunk floors. I may not fool with the floor boards. But the price is right for both cars. Can't pass up FREE. My wife rolled her eyes when I told her I was goin to look at them then I told her the price. She asked if I was back yet.
302 roller
4 speed

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I've got a whole new floor with toe kick's coming for my 61. $937.50 total.
Pan $530
Toe section's $98 each
Freight $211
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

loman

Post by loman »

pugs65 wrote:
Kingspeedy2, not committed, I have to take both cars or neither. I went looking for quarters. One has solid wheel openings which is what I need. Also need some trunk floors. I may not fool with the floor boards. But the price is right for both cars. Can't pass up FREE. My wife rolled her eyes when I told her I was goin to look at them then I told her the price. She asked if I was back yet.
Your talking my kind of money! Cha Ching!