Protecting the drip rail on a comet wagon

Discussions about general body work and modifications
CAComet1965

Protecting the drip rail on a comet wagon

Post by CAComet1965 »

I'm stoked to have no major rust (appears to be ) on my drip rails of my 1965 comet 404 wagon. All though I live a few blocks from the beach, I keep my wagon covered basically whenever I park it. (It's almost an OCD thing). Whenever it does rain in So-Cal, I add a protective tarp.

Is there any protection I can put on the drip rails to prevent the rust?

poboyjo65

Re: Protecting the drip rail on a comet wagon

Post by poboyjo65 »

do you mean the trim or inside the little gutters?
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

I have a hot rod building friend who lives in Ohio.I asked him almost this very question the other day. They salt the roads a lot out there.
He tells me they do a few different things to try and prevent rust. They put one cup of diesel in their wash bucket everytime they wash their cars.Some of this gets under the trim and helps stop the rust in those areas. Then cover the car or garage it.
They will also use that rubber tool dip and paint on a strip along the rockers for the winter. Once summer comes around it just peals off and it doesn't hurt the paint. I don't think I would try it on a new paint job.

Once you get rust in your drip rails the only way to get rid of it is to grind out the drip rail sealent and replace it.

If it were me and the drip rails were rust free I would wax the heck out of them.

Matt

StPro

Post by StPro »

The biggest thing I see when it comes to rust on drip rails is because of water (condensation) under the headliner on the roof running over to the edge and down into the pinchweld. If I was going to oil any thing it would be inside the car. The condensation forms heating and cooling the roof skin. Driving the cars will help to dry them out with air changes. Keep the car out of direct sun light and well ventilated.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Try silicone spray,it will displace water,and should not harm the sealant that is there or the paint.it also wont stain your clothes or anything else for that matter..try it on the paint in an inconspicuous place to be sure of compatability.
Adding diesel to your wash bucket..that sounds crazy to me.there is a chemical soup of additives in there.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:Try silicone spray,it will displace water,and should not harm the sealant that is there or the paint.it also wont stain your clothes or anything else for that matter..try it on the paint in an inconspicuous place to be sure of compatability.
Adding diesel to your wash bucket..that sounds crazy to me.there is a chemical soup of additives in there.
No disrespect intended but silicone is a no no on paint. if you ever think you might want to paint it keep silicone away. it will make it fisheye.& you cant wash it off. A local body /paint shop around here says armor all ,the interior cleaner is not allowed on his property,period. because it is silicone based.
Johno

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

No disrespect taken,A lot of car polishes have silicone added to them as its an easy way to get a shine .