Backup lights

Discussions about general body work and modifications
tomb22

Backup lights

Post by tomb22 »

Has anybody installed custom back up lights? I bought all new red lenses for the back tail lights and would like some back up lights. I'm thinking of cutting in some small lights next to the tail lights then notching out the trim to allow the light thru. Something like the newer camarows. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Re: Backup lights

Post by poboyjo65 »

If you mean cutting the alum tail panels between the lights I would advise against it. they are hard to come by in decent shape. send me the red lens & get new clear ones!! :lol: :lol: but if you mean drilling holes in just the lens for small led's that sounds cool. One thought ,build a license tag frame with lights.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

:shock: that ought to look real SPIFFY,,,,a re-in carnation of a CAMERO back up light on a mercury comet...I can't wait to see this !! :!: :? :? .....pop
pop/glenda

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Instead of cutting up trim and such how about something like this that attaches to license plate?

https://store.ijdmtoy.com/Universal-LED ... 35-070.htm

I got all red lenses for the back of mine, don't plan on running backup lights, but if I find I need them, I will do something like the link where they are in license plate frame

Just a link I found pretty quick I'm sure there are others. Would be real cool to find license plate bolts with a light built in that would be bright enough but haven't seen anything like that yet.

Lou

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks guys. I really didn't want to cut up the trim. The led mounted to the license plate looks like a better idea.
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Drove my Comet all through high school, college and beyond and never had back-up lights, I guess you get used to it and that is what bumpers are for :roll: actually I never hit anything, I did have a little Mazda Pickup (like the Ford Courier only cheaper) that I could not keep from backing into things like ditches because I had a Bed/camper cover on it and could not see behind that thing at night to save me, I will admit I always drove it back out of the ditch and should have never traded that truck off for a Toyota PU (guess that is one vehicle I regret not keeping).

That being said I think I will do some sort of license plate BU light on the Comet, after I had the idea I noticed the newer Mustangs have sort of what I was thinking about maybe I can get my hands on one of those and mod it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

mercuryman

Post by mercuryman »

Lou's Comet wrote:Instead of cutting up trim and such how about something like this that attaches to license plate?

https://store.ijdmtoy.com/Universal-LED ... 35-070.htm

I got all red lenses for the back of mine, don't plan on running backup lights, but if I find I need them, I will do something like the link where they are in license plate frame

Just a link I found pretty quick I'm sure there are others. Would be real cool to find license plate bolts with a light built in that would be bright enough but haven't seen anything like that yet.

Lou
I like the link Lou... I need to do something for mine too. Keep the ideas coming guys.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Another idea; If you could find one of those led strips (or make one) that just look flat & black when not on,( I think they put in under tinted plexiglass) ,& have all way across just under & snugged up to the trim panel maybe to look like part of the trim. Ratical did his whole tailpanel in lights, only he left the lines of bulbs visible to simulate the lines of the comets trim, & bright !! :shock: of course he changed up everything back there but it does have a smooth flat glass over it all. but I have seen them to where you could not see the bulbs. but just one roll of lights shouldn't be over 1/2'' tall . maybe Lou can find some already made! :D

Imagewindows 7 print screen
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:Another idea; If you could find one of those led strips (or make one) that just look flat & black when not on,( I think they put in under tinted plexiglass) ,& have all way across just under & snugged up to the trim panel maybe to look like part of the trim. Ratical did his whole tailpanel in lights, only he left the lines of bulbs visible to simulate the lines of the comets trim, & bright !! :shock: of course he changed up everything back there but it does have a smooth flat glass over it all. but I have seen them to where you could not see the bulbs. but just one roll of lights shouldn't be over 1/2'' tall . maybe Lou can find some already made! :D
Like taillight all the way across on Raticals Comet, even thought about it on mine at the begining. Was thinking of just doing across the whole panel with the factory lense's, and having sequential t/s, but would need to move the gas filler, and make buckets the whole way across. And sure other things would need to be changed lol.

But,,,,,, I really, really like the rear trim/lights from the factory. One of my favorite parts of the 65 Caliente / Cyclones.
I think it is a really clean look, and when ya get rid of the "COMET" letters and key hole IMO it really looks nice.

Back to the back up lights. There are all kinds of led strips out there that could be placed under the trim. And with the right one would blend in nicely. But for me if I put back up lights on mine it would be in the license plate area. My bumper is buried, but found a picture of one on a really COOL build thread here :)

Looks like decent space above the license plate bolt holes, where you could run a strip or two of led lights. You could set them back in and really don't think anyone would notice them unless they were on.

What would really be trick would be have them on a hinge, with small electric servo? motor. When you turn backups on they swing down to light up behind you. And when you turn them off they swing up out of site behind the bumper....."

But now that you guys got me thinking, prob going to put some kind of back up lights on mine........thanks.......LOL

Lou

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WHEN lou"s COMET is 100% done......nothing to do but drive and enjoy it....I sure hope to be able to see it in person.......it'll be a show piece for sure........ :D :D pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:lol: :lol: Lou I thought for a second or 2 someone had a belt sander on an old gutted table saw on top of an old typewriter stand just like mine!!! :lol: then I recognized the engine leveler I made & the fan & broom & dust,,, thought what did I click on? really scratching my head there for a bit. Now I see that tag light wire I never did redrill the hole for, because I welded did up by mistake,,,,,anyhow Thanks for the compliment....... & for reminding me about that wire Lou! :roll: :)

we all sure do spur other ideas from each other!! :)

Pop you are certainly right about Lou's comet!!!
Johno

Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

I'm assuming you bought all new red lenses because you didn't like the look of the clear lens that would go in for factory equipped with back-up lights? Mine was all red but I added the clear lenses and wired up the light to my shifter so it now has what appears to be stock back-up lights.

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_falco ... comet.html

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_falco ... comet.html

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Yup, and I thought the new clear lenses would be to whitish and not allow a lot of light thru. So do the new lenses work good and your happy with the backup lights. By the way I like the looks of your car.
tomb's 65

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I bought a bag of 10 led bulbs. I gave 2 to the neighbor for his 55 Ford truck. He's putting them on the license plate frame. I am putting 2 in the rear panel of the Falcon and also going to use a couple for interior lighting. They were $10. Let me see if I can find the link.

Like these; http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-White-Eagle ... 0e&vxp=mtr
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Yes, They seem to plenty bright to me. I installed the bright LED bulbs and that helped as well.