filling body holes using sheet metal backing

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Kingspeedy2

filling body holes using sheet metal backing

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I am not using the rocker trim on my 65 HT ,so I filled some of the holes In the doors by welding and consequently it shrunk so there is a depression.
I kind of regret that decision as they were really straight and I got a little excited with my MIG.
Instead of welding the holes I had considered using a small piece of sheet metal as a backer behind the hole that would have been glued on with 2 part panel adhesive .I would then fill the remaining void with body filler from the front.
I kind of wish I had now and could of avoided the depressed sheet metal I have to deal with.
Now,I have really straight front fenders and want to fill in the holes from the antennae and sargent bars. So again I am at the decision point .
what do you think ? Should I form some sheet metal to fit the body line where the sergeant bar holes are and bond it in with panel adhesive then fill from the front or weld them up?
since the sheet metal is less than 1/16 there would just be a skim of filler and no shrinkage to deal width
I guess my main concern is if body filler will eventually shrink and the filled holes will be visible ? I haven't used the modern fillers and don't know how they are on a localized spot.
The inside of the panels will be sprayed with epoxy and then most likely undercoating so I doubt rust migrating in between the layers of sheet metal will be a concern.

as always your thoughts are appreciated

Lou's Comet

Re: filling body holes using sheet metal ba

Post by Lou's Comet »

If you do the panel adhesive with sheet metal backers I really don't think you will need filler, or have to deal with rust bleeding thru. When you apply the adhesive it will squeeze out around the edge of the backer on the inside of fender and form a seal. It should also squeeze out the holes on outside/front of fender where you can take a spreader and smooth out before the adhesive sets. After it is dry you can just sand it smooth. The extra adhesive that squeezes out the hole will act as the filler. If not enough squeezes out the front to smooth it out flat you could add a little adhesive while it is still wet to fill in the hole. But I would think what squeezes thru would be enough.

As far as panel adhesive with backers vs welding the adhesive prob easier and no chance of distorting the metal. Although if your careful you should be able to weld without distorting the metal. What size wire you using, I use .023 on sheetmetal work better than the .035 for me.

I welded up the holes on one of my fenders before I decided to keep the bars. Was time consuming but came out nice. Then went to local show where a guy had brand new repo bars on his 65 and they were like all shiney and stuff lol so I decided to go with the bars.

Couple things I would do if using the adhesive. Make sure you do both sides of the fender around the holes with 24-32 grit to get good bite. Inside of fender a 1/2" or so bigger than the backer and on the front a inch or so round hole to feather out what squeezes thru.

Also depending on how you plan on clamping the pieces I would put some 3m green masking tape on any clamps or fixtures you are using so you don't glue them to the fender. Wax paper will also work but have to make sure you don't tear it.

Lou

Kingspeedy2

Re: filling body holes using sheet metal backing

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Thanks lou,I like the masking tape idea as although I haven used the panel adhesive I hear it sticks like ..you know what to a blanket.
I have .023 wire but I prefer .030.I also have a new tig but am just learning.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Kingspeedy -

My $0.02, though it's not worth that much :mrgreen: .
I find trim holes particularly fun. I prefer to weld a hole up rather than use adhesive myself. On my antenna hole I cut a small circle of sheet metal out and MIG welded it slowly. I use 0.030 on sheet metal and actually turn the amps and wire speed up; I find I get a better tack quicker that way. I force myself to walk away between tacks and keeps distortion to a minimum. On trim holes I use a 16p nail. The nail gives you something to hold on to while tacking, a heat sink to draw heat away from the sheet metal edge, and enough metal to dress it down to level front and back pretty easy. Either way a little spot of filler is all that's required. I've never tied my TIG in that way, so no advice there. Good luck and post pics!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Like Lou says, .023 wire,cut off the tip off the wire for every trigger pull,line up the wire exactly where you want it with your off hand,no helmet,close your eyes,one dot at a time. Move to the next hole after every dot to let things cool. Takes a while but no warping. Drill some holes in a piece of scrap to practice if you're not used to doing this.

Loner

Post by Loner »

If your going to weld them up use heat fence and slap a wet sponge to it. At times you will want to back it with a dolly and smack it flat before using the sponge. If the holes are bigger than a 1/4 inch I cut out a plug.
I'm going to go against Vice grip and say always wear a helmet preferably a auto darkening one and keep your eyes open.
Use 0.23 wire. I hear they have a soft wire for body work but I have never tried it. Going to give it a go when I run out of what I have. It will be better for grinding you can warp the metal getting it to hot grinding the weld smooth. Soft wire means less grinding, less heat.

Matt

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

As Vice Grip said snip end of wire every time, wet rag helps but I just keep a blow gun on my air hose handy and blow air on it between spots. CLEAN metal! Always make sure the metal I am welding is bare and clean. I will even keep a wire brush on a drill handy and wire brunch the area after every couple tacks.

Found the pictures of when I welded my Sargent bar holes up.

Fender after stripping and DA with 80,

Cut some 18ga bent it to get the right shape/angle, cut into small pieces, placed behind hole and took a fine tip sharpie to mark, carefully ground the excess off to make the plug. Think I used needle nose vice grips to hold pieces, vise to hold vice grips and use a dermal on a lower speed to grind the excess.

Plugs fitted into holes.

Used one of those tools that has a piece of copper and a magnet to hold the pieces in place when I welded them.

A few tacks and some grinding, finished.

The inside.

Really didn't take that long, a few hours. Would probably have gotten away with no putty, epoxy, primer/surfacer and blocking would taken care of it, but never finished the fender, decided on going with bars after all :?

Lou