Spot weld drill

Discussions about general body work and modifications
StPro

Spot weld drill

Post by StPro »

Does anyone have any experience with Spot weld drill Blair or Dentfix Pro or Con I am trying to justify buying one since I do so much spot weld removal and I hate doing it with a hand drill and spot weld cutter. I just did all the welds on a replacement fire wall it reminded me how time consuming it is and how much I dislike it. Now I have to go and do all the same welds on the car.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Lou's Comet

Re: Spot weld drill

Post by Lou's Comet »

I have been using the Blair cutter for years.

http://shop.blairequipment.com/ProductD ... gIsvPD_BwE

Tried a few other ones over the years..even a expensive snap on one. Always preferred and had the best luck with the Blair. Plus you can buy the cutters and pilots separate once you have the arbor.

Lou

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Have never seen the need to get the special spot weld cutting bits. I just alter the end of a standard drill bit so it has a center point and two outer corners projecting forward. I do that right on the grinder wheel. Has worked well for me. If it gets worn or chipped I just regrind it to the same shape. One bit lasts a long time. In fact never had to make more than one.
Ron

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Blair is the best. Operate at slow speed as heat dulls the cutter faster. To me,the pilot is a joke as it likes to walk around and end up missing part of the weld so I drill a 1/8 hole first.
Ron... you can just buy the drill bit you speak of from the Dewalt drill rack. They do work good,any size you want.

StPro

Post by StPro »

I was asking if any one has used the actual Blair spot weld drill.
https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/E ... gKSQ_D_BwE
I work on this kind of stuff all the time I am looking to speed up the process. I use cut down drill bits most of the time. drilling a pilot for the blair hole saws is a must.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

vicegrip wrote:Blair is the best. Operate at slow speed as heat dulls the cutter faster. To me,the pilot is a joke as it likes to walk around and end up missing part of the weld so I drill a 1/8 hole first.
Ron... you can just buy the drill bit you speak of from the Dewalt drill rack. They do work good,any size you want.
I have purchased many drill bits over the years but have never seen any bits ground the way I do mine. Plus I probably couldn't resharpen it if I had one of those as they probably would need a special sharpening jig. But at this point in my life I'm not likely to need another since I won't be doing any major restores. Haven't worn out the one i've been using yet.
Ron

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Mine are sort of like that except I bring my corners out forward to more of a point. And I can do that right on the grinding wheel. Has worked very well for me. I knew about those bits but never tried one.
Ron