Body color

Discussions about general body work and modifications
LENYM

Body color

Post by LENYM »

Hi, I am thinking of painting my Comet Gloss black then in the indention all the way down the sides be flat black, then between the side trim be gloss black except were the letters Comet are that be flat black again, I am trying to get some opinions from the group thank's. Leny Mason

poboyjo65

Re: Body color

Post by poboyjo65 »

Sounds like it would look great! It's hard to say without seeing it but I think it will be subtle enough to be a great contrast. I'm not normally a fan of painting those indentations but some schemes work & some dont. a couple members cars that seem to work are tweaked & cosmic comet & another similar one that I cant think of his name. These are 65's but basically the same guardrail imprint lookin' body lines. go for it! :D
Johno

LENYM

Post by LENYM »

The reason I am thinking of doing this is because I made the front fenders six inches longer so the the ribbed aluminum trim will not fit any more, I used the upper trim from the back fender to make the trim for the front fenders so that is OK, so now I need to figure out what would look good I think all gloss black will be to much maybe not let me know what you think. Leny Mason

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

LENYM wrote:Hi, I am thinking of painting my Comet Gloss black then in the indention all the way down the sides be flat black, then between the side trim be gloss black except were the letters Comet are that be flat black again, I am trying to get some opinions from the group thank's. Leny Mason
I myself would stay away from flat black. IMO flat black is a PITA. Once you spray it it is what it is, can't sand or nub out any dirt, can't rub it out. Doesn't hold up well, it marks easy and if the mark doesn't wash off with soap and water no way to rub it out.

I recently did a street rod for a guy in flat black. Anytime you touch it you have to worry about it leaving a mark. The color is already starting to fade/get chalky. Doesn't hold up well.

If you want to do black on black then I would go with a satin black. Holds up better and doesn't mark as easy. Or a semi gloss black which would hold up even better but not as much difference between the semi and gloss vs satin and gloss.

You could also just stay with gloss and change the color a little. Like use a darker graphite or gray color instead of the flat black. If your going with bc/cc then using different colors instead of the gloss/flat, satin ,etc, would let you clear over both colors and wouldn't have the paint edge you will have with the gloss/flat, satin,etc. paint.

JMO I would stay away from flat paint on exterior.

Lou

afx1964

Post by afx1964 »

LENYM wrote:The reason I am thinking of doing this is because I made the front fenders six inches longer so the the ribbed aluminum trim will not fit any more, I used the upper trim from the back fender to make the trim for the front fenders so that is OK, so now I need to figure out what would look good I think all gloss black will be to much maybe not let me know what you think. Leny Mason

I'm not a fan of flat black on the exterior either for all the same reasons stated. A couple of options come to mind though with the trim. Make two pieces fit together on the fenders with a slight bonded overlap. Paint the trim on by airbrush or have a decal made for the whole side.