Windshield dimensions?

Discussions about general body work and modifications
RideAndShoot

Windshield dimensions?

Post by RideAndShoot »

I was told that the Caliente HT and Falcon Spring HT May have a shorter windshield than the Comet 404. Does anyone know if this is true? Or can someone with either of the first two cars throw a tape measure on there for me?

I will be chopping the top on mine in the next few months, and a shorter windshield will open up some possibilities and would be nice to not have to have one cut down. I will already have to sink the rear glass into the trunk.

Thanks in advance!
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

poboyjo65

Re: Windshield dimensions?

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yep All Hardtops have shorter windshields than sedans. by about 3'' or so. Top -bottom right in the middle measurement is 20 11/16'' on my new windshield that is waiting to go in my hardtop.

all 63- 65 falcon & comets have same glass all way around in hardtops.

all 63 - 65 sedans are like each other too

BTW, Back window is taller on a hardtop than a sedan because it is angled out ,,,laid down more . sedans back window are more straight up & therefor shorter
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

poboyjo65 wrote:Yep All Hardtops have shorter windshields than sedans. by about 3'' or so. Top -bottom right in the middle measurement is 20 11/16'' on my new windshield that is waiting to go in my hardtop.

all 63- 65 falcon & comets have same glass all way around in hardtops.

all sedans are like each other too

BTW, Back window is taller on a hardtop than a sedan because it is angled out ,,,laid down more . sedans back window are more straight up & therefor shorter

Awesome! Thank you Johnno!
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You're welcome. Just curious, how tall are sedan windows in the center?

At one time I had a sedan windshield here & measured down the sides of it & my HT & from memory they were somewhere around 3'' difference.

Another concern are they the same shape? :? same curves?
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

My windshield is still in, and since I’ve never had it out I can’t be sure exactly of where the glass ends under the trim. But from inside of trim to inside of trim in the center, it is approximately 23 1/2”. From outside of trim to outside of trim in the center is approximately 25 3/4”. So you’re right on with the 3” shorter. It is gonna make my chop a MUCH simpler task.

As far as curve and width, it’s going to be similar, which is all I need. I’ll order the shorter windshield before I’m ready to chop it. After I get the stock one out, I’ll measure and cut and tack the frame to fit the height of the new windshield. I’ll test fit the glass and adjust as necessary. I can widen the A pillars if I have to, but my guess is it will fit in fine and only the top will need to come down.

After I have the windshield frame all welded up to fit the new glass, I’ll crossbrace it. I know I’m going to lean it back too, so I’ll end up cutting it nearly out of the car. I’ll bring the top down to where the shorter windshield leans and meets the new roof line. I’m thinking a 4” chop is exactly what the doctor ordered. Not so short that I can’t drive it, but short enough that it doesn’t look factory.

So stoked I have a windshield option without having to have one cut! Side glass will be easy since it’s all flat.

If someone happens to know of a similar shaped rear window that’s 4” shorter than the comet 404 rear window, I’ll love you forever? Lol.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Cool ,sounds like a plan! Well you'll also be happy to know the HT one is over $80 cheaper than the sedan windshield was. if my memory is right it was about 150 tax & all for the HT glass.& near 250 for the sedan glass.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Just a thought, the hardtop glass has it's own stainless trim, maybe consider a glue in and flush it out as you'll be cutting most of that stuff anyway.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

I am happy to hear that! Where did you order it from? I see Mac’s carries it, but don’t know where else to look yet.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

It's a company called Jack Morris. If I wanted them to install it would have been another hundred & do it at their shop . Normally their prices include installation at the location of your choice for most newer cars. But I think they are only in the mid south. you might check your area for these type of glass companies. They might be cheaper than macs. I noticed Macs had one for 189$ green tint & one for 302$ green tint & blue dark strip at top. I guess I'd pass on the blue strip. :lol: :lol:
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks, I’ll definitely check around locally. My brother in law is a falcon guy, and he just ordered a new windshield a month or two ago because he busted the only one pulling it. So he probably can point me in the right direction locally.

Thanks Fred, but I’ll probably just cut down the trim I have now. I have no idea how it attaches yet. Lol. I’ve TIG welded stainless(not the greatest), so it should be passable.