Little More Info on Rust Removal

Discussions about general body work and modifications
lavron
Site Admin

Little More Info on Rust Removal

Post by lavron »

I know I have shown a lot in my build thread on removing rust, it is something I seem to do a lot of :roll: if I had a big air compressor I might consider media blasting to remove rust but I don't. However I want to show everyone here (even though I think you know this) there are different ways to do things for us poor folks :P

I do a lot of experimenting with different things, some are cheap some are not, it is all in the name of science :roll: and maybe something I learn will help out someone else. You all know I am no professional and I don't necessarily do things in the "proper" way but I try to do a good job and when I discover something that impresses me I want to share that information, certainly I have nothing to gain from this and I can maybe help the next guy out considering what to do to their old rusty Comet (or any other car) without spending a lot of money.

The rust removal on the roof of my Comet has been an experiment to see what works for me and get it fixed, so this last product that I used and talked about in my build thread impressed me a lot, was cheap and readily available.

Klean Strip Phosphoric Prep & Etch, you can buy it at Home Depot for a little over $15 a gallon. I think it is pretty much the same stuff that POR15 sells called Metal Ready except maybe a bit more concentrated, the POR15 product is, IIRC, $35 a gallon and you have to order it and have it shipped to you. I put some in pump spray bottle full strength but I believe you can dilute it some.

And how well does it work? I had the lower picture below (after) posted in my build thread, the Before picture is after I had DA'ed the Roof with 120 grit, which I had not shown, but if you look at the area that I boxed in red you can see where there was rust still present, all that I did between these two pictures is spray the Prep & Etch on, let it sit for a few minutes (I think if you can keep it wet for 30 minutes you should, I didn't) and rinse it off, no rubbing or using a scotchbrite pad, etc.

You can see along the edge of the black primer I did not remove, stayed the same shape (it does not remove good paint).

I will suggest you wear rubber gloves and a mask when you use it even though it did not appear to effect my skin (I wore gloves, but have gotten it on my hands) I don't think it is good to breath it, I did not wear a mask and occasionally I would get a whiff of it and it kinda stings the sinuses :roll:

Understand I did not use this under the best circumstances, it was a little windy and I was in full sun, the roof was hot (the temperature outside was in the 60s), I think if you could use it in shade it would be better and on a calm day.

That is all I have to say about that :roll: If I have done something detrimental or you have used Prep & Etch before feel free to comment.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

comethead

Re: Little More Info on Rust Removal

Post by comethead »

Good info!! I’ll be needing to do this to the roof of my Falcon. Pretty cool that you can get it at HD! :D

Thanks Mike!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed