Glass

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Rocket989

Glass

Post by Rocket989 »

So in starting my first real cleaning of the Comet (hey, tough for that to be a priority when you’re constantly working on the heap!!), I noticed stuff that looks like hard water spots on all the glass that won’t come off with normal cleaning attempts.

I’ve tried just cleaning with Windex, scrubbing with soap/water & a rough sponge, and wiping with Naptha.

The windshield doesn’t have this stuff but it’s a replacement. I’m wondering if it’s something to do with just being old...

I can get glass polish and glass wax at the local hardware store - you guys think that’ll help??
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Glass

Post by A/FX »

I just finished a complete set of glass for installation in my ‘64. I picked out the best SunX glass in my inventory but it still had some slight imperfections so it needed to be polished. (I wanted all the glass to be factory stamped, not aftermarket)
I bought some Cerium Oxide powder and used a angle variable speed drill and 3” felt pads. It takes a While and you cannot let the glass get hot but it removes all most everything. I even removed a couple of scratches that could be felt with a fingernail.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks Jim! I’ll give it a shot!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

4 - 0000 steel wool works pretty good. it will also help slightly rusty chrome. just make sure it is 0000 (4 ought-very fine)
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Tried the steel wool (also with some glass polish I’ve got)...didn’t help...kinda surprised. I ordered some of the cerium oxide powder & will give that a shot.