Rear Seat

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Rocket989

Rear Seat

Post by Rocket989 »

I’ve pretty much concluded that my rear seat idea isn’t going to work. :? :x

I remember from the Falcon I had there are different rear seats (I know a vert setup won’t fit). I don’t remember the rest though. Beyond a hardtop, what others will fit?

Also, if anyone as a pic of where the seat back clips on, that’d be great. If I go this route I’ll need to figure out a seatbelt/latch hook setup. I’d like to leave as much of the sheet metal plate back there as I can (for a few reasons) but if trimming it won’t fly, we’ll do what needs to be done.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Rear Seat

Post by A/FX »

I am not sure what your original plans were for the rear seat. Do you need a seat and backrest?
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

hardtop falcon or comet is all that will fit. do you have the rear seat risers in? the seat back hook at the top to the package tray then screws to some brackets on the floor. the bottom part clips to the riser & just push the back of it down in place.

Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I had modded-up a 3rd row seat from a ‘16 Transit Connect (largely for the integral shoulder belts). Couple of issues - it’s pretty narrow. I thought that’d be ok but I totally didn’t think about side impact(s).

My boys are 5 and 7 so car seat & booster. So second issue is I would need a way to secure (no movement) both. If the seat was equipped with latch hooks I could likely have made something work, but alas...nope.

I’ve got a piece of reinforced sheet metal that runs from package tray to floor (actually it forms the package tray). I would need to at least mod that (and maybe remove a decent amount) to clip a stock rear seat back on. That’s supposed to add rigidity to the car but I can forgoe in order to have the kids safely ride.

And yah, I would need both pieces of rear seat to attempt something with the stock stuff! Still kicking myself for not grabbing those out of a local ‘64 a guy was parting out last year.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks Johnnie - dunno...if they’re what I think you’re talking about they’re covered up under the sheet metal.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

And yah, I would need both pieces of rear seat to attempt something with the stock stuff! Still kicking myself for not grabbing those out of a local ‘64 a guy was parting out last year.[/quote]

I have the bottom cushion and seat back that I took out of my Cyclone in 1971, it is black factory material and in nice condition. I have had it in storage all these years, could not use it (or wanted it) because of the roll bar design.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

you can see the brackets better in this pic
you could just screw to the sheet metal that you installed I would think since these brackets are right inline with the stock braces that are in front of the tubs.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

2nd pic cleared it up, thanks!! Yah...based on the sheet metal, those are probably AWOL. I can fab something! :D

Jim - PM me about the seat assembly...thank you!!!