trunk lid seal

Discussions about general body work and modifications
boone

trunk lid seal

Post by boone »

Hey I just purchased my very first car this weekend- a 1965 comet caliente 2 door hardtop-the car isn't really in bad shape-I am currently restoring a k5 blazer that was a lot worse than this car-I have read through these forums and have ggathered a lot of information about these cars- but I do have one question-mine has a little rot in the channel where the trunk lid weatherstripping goes-this looks like kind of a pain area to work with- what is the best way to try and fix it? can you purchase is from somewhere and cut the old out and put new in or do you just kinda have to work with what you got?-and also does anybody have any suggestions on good websites to purchase restoration parts for these cars? rookie question I know but any help would be greatly appreciated-thanks

poboyjo65

Re: trunk lid seal

Post by poboyjo65 »

You will need to find a donor car,they are not repopped. I redid mine. I used body panel adhesive to glue the donor pieces on since it isn't structural, & is it's own seem sealer,,,can be sanded & painted.
Johno

boone

Post by boone »

I was afraid that is what someone would say lol I don't know I have some body work experience, may try and just see what I can do there is only one spot that reaches down into the tail panel at the very back and luckily it is the straight part and not at a corner-maybe part of it could be made with a brake?

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Not on a comet, but on an Impala I built the channel was rotted out. I ended up using 5/8” square tubing, 1/16” thick, and cut it down to use it as a C channel. It worked really well. You may be able to draw from this idea and find something similar to work, especially since it’s straight.
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

boone

Post by boone »

Excellent idea rideandshoot!!! I may give that a shot-thanks!!!