Window

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Rocket989

Window

Post by Rocket989 »

Given I don’t know much about body work... I’m changing interior stuff including the door cards & I noticed the driver side window moves back & forth more than the pass side (when rolled down in any increment). The back & forth movement makes a clang/bang noise that’s also not present on the pass side.

How I’m just now noticing this is kinda surprising but actually driving the car will do that. :D

I suspect something is missing/ worn-out. I’ve already done the pass side but can always remove to compare. But hey, if one of y’all can give me an idea maybe I won’t have to! :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Window

Post by A/FX »

There are a few things to check that are the easiest to fix.
The nylon rollers on the window arms may be missing or worn, sometimes they seize on the shaft and won’t turn so they develop a flat spot.
The channels have a “fuzzy” insert, the front one is visible near the vent window, the rear one is below the door sill. If they are wore they could allow the window to tilt. Or worse, the channel itself may be loose and moving.
If these items look good then check the gears on the window regulator, the large one is visible but the pinion one is hard to see, there should be no play when they mesh.
Also check to make sure the stops are in place, they are metal angles with a rubber bumper that holds the window straight.
I have a box of regulators that I won’t need because I am installing power windows in the Cyclone.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks gents & I always forget to look in the shop manual!! :D I’ll let you know what/if I find anything.

Jim - I’ll be polishing the glass this week...should be interesting! :mrgreen:

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Rocket989 wrote:Thanks gents & I always forget to look in the shop manual!! :D I’ll let you know what/if I find anything.

Jim - I’ll be polishing the glass this week...should be interesting! :mrgreen:
Rocket,how much polishing and how much perfection are you looking for? I polished all the original glass including the windshield on a 69 Cobra Jet,worked on them every day for the better part of a month and literally spent hundreds on different grades of 3M trizact discs just to get the scratches out...then the polishing started. You can't just do the scratches. The whole thing has to be done or they end up wavy.They did look fantastic when done but I never rolled down the windows again. Not trying to discourage you but if you go that route,you need lots of patience.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

No scratches, just this weird stuff that’s like hardwater spots on all the glass except the windshield (which has been replaced). It’s not awful but very prevalent. I’ll try and get a pic tonight or tomorrow - not easy to get it to show in pics.

LENYM

Post by LENYM »

That is a great sight, so when I get ready to put my car together I will have directions Cool. Leny Mason