Horepower vs work

Discussions about general body work and modifications
boone

Horepower vs work

Post by boone »

Ok im not sure if this is the right forum for this question or not, but here it is-I have a 65 caliente 2 dr hardtop with a 289 and automatic trans-eventually I will probably have the engine rebuilt and hopped up a little bit-im thinking somewhere between 300-400 hp, I also plan on doing the spring relocation kit-new front suspension and new rear leafs and trac bars-my question is what is the most horsepower you can get out of a comet before you have to start going through and adding a whole bunch of metal and braces to keep it together?-I also think I am going to do the subframe connectors on this car also-I wont be using the car for drag racing every weekend but would just like to have a fast little car. the car has the 2 barrel on it which I think was rated somewhere under 200 hp? and of course it probably isn't making that anymore but it still feels pretty peppy so I may stick closer to 300 hp. so to play it safe what (if any) mods would I have to do at 400 hp max? thanks.

SASSY

Re: Horepower vs work

Post by SASSY »

Put 3-400 HP in it, it' be fine till you put traction tires under it.
Car will take it if it isn't too rusty,,, IMO
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I agree with Fred.You basically described my car :lol: except I have a 4sp..but you need better brakes with all of it. SFC's & your other plans of moving the leafs in sounds like you want wider tires. A stroker motor will get you in the power range you want without having to wind it so high. it will give you gobs of seat of the pants torque & increase the HP too. this will allow you to have the power you want & run a street friendly cam so it is fun to drive on the street. But if you're gonna go faster you need to stop faster so a disc brake upgrade is in order,,,,, not sometime down the road ,you need the brakes ''before'' you get the power! :lol: :lol:
Johno

boone

Post by boone »

poboyjo65 wrote:I agree with Fred.You basically described my car :lol: except I have a 4sp..but you need better brakes with all of it. SFC's & your other plans of moving the leafs in sounds like you want wider tires. A stroker motor will get you in the power range you want without having to wind it so high. it will give you gobs of seat of the pants torque & increase the HP too. this will allow you to have the power you want & run a street friendly cam so it is fun to drive on the street. But if you're gonna go faster you need to stop faster so a disc brake upgrade is in order,,,,, not sometime down the road ,you need the brakes ''before'' you get the power! :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah I definitely plan on a disc brake conversion-found a wildwood 4 piston setup on summit for just under$600-thanks for the info-another question-with the spring moved to the inside of the frame what is the widest rim/tire you can run?-what do you have on the rear of your car?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You can get a more complete kit from csrp with 4 piston cal's & slotted rotors for about the same money.

I moved my frame rails in 5'' so I didn't use the spring kit from crites. there is a thread on here where a guy with a 64, I think he got 275/50/15's on his with spring relocator kit. ;
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2250&start=165
if you cant see the pics let me know I have an add on, if you use google or chrome it will make all photobucket pics visible again.
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

for the info-another question-with the spring moved to the inside of the frame what is the widest rim/tire you can run?-what do you have on the rear of your car?[/quote]

I may have mentioned this before so excuse me if I repeat myself.
I have 2.75x60x15 radials in the rear of my ‘64, they fit because I moved the springs 2 1/2” inboard on each side. ( and a few other tricks) The wheels I have are 15x8 with negative offset. The car sits low, not jacked up in the back. I built a 9” that has been narrowed to allow room for the tires.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I also have 275-60-15 tires but on 10 inch rims.
It takes quite a bit more than just moving the springs.
Probably mod the wheel tubs, I changed the wheel openings completely but the stock ones would need mods.
It's work, not to scare you away from it just a heads up.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Just ran across this on MSN home page.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/enthusi ... =AAxl78Y|1

boone

Post by boone »

Awesome info-Thanks a bunch guys!!!

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

I have about 600hp in mine with standard body, no connectors, runs 10.77s, its been in for 8 years haven`t had a problem with the body, I run home made caltracks, standard springs & shortened 9" which allows 255/60/15 ET street slicks on 15x7s, its gets driven alot, has about 40 000 miles in those 8 years, the engine before was 260hp at the wheels ran 12.7s raced & drove that for 15 years, I have mustang kelsey hayes discs on now. John
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero