Front bumper

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Vinchez78

Front bumper

Post by Vinchez78 »

I like the look of the maverick front bumper rather than the 73 comet front bumper, will the bumper fit?

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Front bumper

Post by lavron »

I am sure it would physically bolt on but not sure it would fit the grill where it protrudes in the center.

You might look at a '72 Comet bumper and see what you think, it is thinner, finding one might be a chore however.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I think you have the first year of what they called a '' 5 MPH bumper'' back then. it is mounted with shock absorbers & sticks way out compared to years prior. I'd bet Mike is right in that the 72 would fit but you would need the mounts to make it hug close to the grill. probably all way back to a 70 would fit,but thats just a guess. they look the same.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

What year maverick bumper?

A couple years ago I was looking at a 74 Comet and was checking into changining the bumpers out. Assuming you want to go to the thinner 70-72 maverick bumper you will need: the bumper, all the bumper brackets, gravel guard/bumper filler, lower valance, valance support center bracket, hood, and grille. The 70-72 fenders are notched for the gravel guard, the 73 and newer fenders do not have this notch. You can notch your existing fenders. You will also need to drill new holes up front for the bumper brackets.

If you go with a 70-72 thinner Comet bumper you will not need hood and grille, but as Mike said prob a little harder to find.

Pretty sure 73 is a cross over year and a unique one year only bumper. If you change it for a thinner one it may have extra value if you sell the old one.

I had a write up saved but think it was on my old computer. I will look for it for you.

Lou

Vinchez78

Post by Vinchez78 »

Thanks alot fellas for the info, can that protruding piece where the bumper is be cut off, modified in any way to not make it look that way?

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Vinchez78 wrote:Thanks alot fellas for the info, can that protruding piece where the bumper is be cut off, modified in any way to not make it look that way?
Not sure what you mean?? Are you talking about the two bumper guards? The 2 upright guards on the bumper?

Lou