Cruise Control

Discussions about general body work and modifications
tomb22

Cruise Control

Post by tomb22 »

I've had some interest in the cruise control I used on my car so I'm starting a thread on what I used and how I installed it.
Here is the add for the unit I bought on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rostra-250-122 ... SwuOxZvUnB
It's a universal unit with a an adjustable handle you can mount on the steering column. Rostra also has control switches you can mount on the dash or counsel and different switches for the column. Here is a picture of the control switch mounted on my column.

I mounted the controller under the left brace on the fire wall. It comes with long cable in a plastic sleeve with a swedged ball on the end of the cable. There is enough cable to mount it under the dash on the inside passenger side if you like. I didn't have room there. They don't want you to cut the cable, but I did. I measured how long the cable came out of the sleeve and then cut the sleeve and the cable so that I had the same amount of cable out of the sleeve and swedged another ball on the end of the cable. I used a cut off wheel to cut both items. I had to file the swedged ball down a little to get it to fit inside a chain link by the carburetor. Here is a picture of the controller under the brace.

The kit comes with a lot of options to hook it up to the carburetor. Pick out the one for a ford and it's pretty straight forward. You can see the cable ball inserted into a chain link.

Here is a picture of the carburetor end

You also need an input pulse to tell the controller how fast your going. My new speedometer puts out a pulse that I used. Rostra also sells a magnetic pickup that works with the drive shaft to get the pulse.
Then you just program the controller by switching switches and wire it up. Two wires on either side of the brake switch, a wire to the neutral switch on an automatic or to the clutch on a stick. They would also like a wire to the tach (optional)

If anybody has any questions,feel free ask.
Tom
tomb's 65