65 Caliente Grill

Discussions about general body work and modifications
tomb22

65 Caliente Grill

Post by tomb22 »

What have you guys done to a 65 Caliente grill to restore it and keep it somewhat original looking. I keep looking at it and thinking how to make it look new.
Tom
tomb's 65

Kingspeedy2

Re: 65 Caliente Grill

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Tom,I am going to have to come meet you one day. We have similar Ideas .. That in itself should make you scared..lol Unfortunately I am waaaay behind you on progress ..And enjoy your updates I am about to head home after 2 weeks at work and put "look at grill" in my to do list.My Car is so far from needing it ,but I do have to figure out the front end mods to accommodate a bigger Rad
,. I spotted a pic of a 66 mustang in a photo and thought maybe some small rally light set perhaps Halo ring style In the grill would be cool , (Perhaps with the 4 headlights it would be too busy )Then I saw the coach bus I take to work which has led's in front synced with the turn signals ,Maybe I would hide them in the grill so they would cast a glow at night .Anyway enough Jib jab,I look forward to seeing what you decide on

Neil

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

tom back in the 70s -80s on my motorcycles I would paint the engines black then file or sand the edges of the fins back to bare metal & clear coat them.I loved the way it looked. I had planned to do this same treatment to my grill. But I knew it would be tedious to sand the edges because of the angles . but I wanted to install it with it all black to see how it looked. I liked the black well enough that I never did sand the edges.

You could do the same process with silver paint if you want the original look. also if you paint it from the back side it wont get much paint on the leading edges> so less sanding.

one other thing I did was tape up the top & bottom blades of it so they didnt get painted black.
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks Niel and John
I'm thinking along the lines of your suggestion John. I just didn't want all that work of sanding all those edges.
Tom
tomb's 65

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

On my first Cyclone, I removed the the corral (and left it in the rafters of the garage, like a dummy, when my parents moved away :roll: ) and painted the whole grill flat black. I let it dry for about an hour so it was dry to the touch, but the paint hadn't had time to harden completely. Then I removed the paint from the leading edges in the area that would have been in the center of the corral with 0000 steel wool. Now days I would have probably used a scotchbrite pad. The paint came off with fairly little effort and left a nice mat-silver leading edge. Probably took about 30 minutes to clean the edges. On my current Cyclone, I opted to satin-black the whole grill and reinstall the corral. I like the look of that better than my first one.
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Jim Thanks for the suggestion with the painting. I really like the grill on your current Cyclone.
Tom
tomb's 65