Ford Parts Reverse Lookup?

Discussions about general body work and modifications
kevinshi

Ford Parts Reverse Lookup?

Post by kevinshi »

Is there a way for me to find out which cars used a given part?

I imagine some database where I enter the part number and it spits out which cars used that part...

Thanks,
kevin
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

vicegrip

Re: Ford Parts Reverse Lookup?

Post by vicegrip »

That would make it easy,wouldn't it! The parts interchange books are not close to being complete and internet search comments are anecdotal at best. You find something,let me know.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Closest thing is the Master Parts Catalog in the year range you’re looking for.

Ford used a part number system that, at a glance, would tell someone what vehicle the part was originally designed for and the parts group it was designed for (engine, chassis, body etc). They’re not just random letters and numbers (usually).
I think hardware is the exception to that system.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

comethead wrote:Closest thing is the Master Parts Catalog in the year range you’re looking for.

Ford used a part number system that, at a glance, would tell someone what vehicle the part was originally designed for and the parts group it was designed for (engine, chassis, body etc). They’re not just random letters and numbers (usually).
I think hardware is the exception to that system.

Joe
The MPC is good as far as it goes but a lot of the same parts are used in different divisions which adds to the confusion... And casting number on the part usually is different than the actual part number. The answer to the question "I have this part number for my 68 Shelby and what other cars had the same part?" Is seldom available.at least for me,anyway.The Shelby for reference only. :D

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Its funny you mention the casting part number is sometimes different... I just ran into this.

The transmission tailhousing on my car is shown in the MPC as C4AZ-7A039-C whereas the part itself is stamped C4AP-7A040-C-BK.

It turns out this is a huge deal. I couldn't find the MPC part anywhere but the casting number was an easy hit. I *think* this is because that part showed up on some of the mustangs.

And this is precisely the point of my question. Oh by it would have been awesome to have a way to ask "what cars used C4AZ-7A039-C"?

I did a google search about this casting vs. engineering part number issue and didn't find anything very interesting. If anyone has a pointer to a write up of what is going on here (maybe some broad logic to why there are these occasional differences) I would enjoy understanding it from a historical perspective.

BTW the reason I had to get a new tailhousing was because I broke the dang bolt retaining the speedometer cable... and then failed my attempt to drill it out and re-tap. Sigh...
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

raceron1120

Post by raceron1120 »

C4AZ-7A039-C is used on 65-66 Comets and 65-69 Meteors with C4 transmissions as shown on this clip from the '65-'72 Merc parts book. Engineering or casting numbers are rarely the same as part #s. The casting itself might be modified to fit numerous applications and the part number typically defines the specific application. NOTE that I didn't look in the Ford book for application so it might also fit other vehicles such as Mustangs, Falcons, Fairlanes etc. . .

raceron1120

Post by raceron1120 »

BTW, the cataloging code for '65-'66 Comets is "C", the code for Meteors is "Y", as shown in the clip I posted above. (Later Comets - '71 & up, were coded "P" but that's a whole 'nother issue)
'