Tunk lid spring

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Kingspeedy2

Tunk lid spring

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

on my 65 ,I am working on a support frame inside my trunk for mounting panels ,and wanted to ensure I leave clearance for the trunk lid spring ,unfortunately I lost a batch of my disassembly pics including the one of the trunk spring arrangement.
I think I am good .Does anyone have a good pic of where the springs sit both for clearance and the eventual re assembly? Image

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Tunk lid spring

Post by A/FX »

The torsion springs are mounted between the hinges up high. I only have one photo of them from when my car was mocked up. Maybe it will help.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Not a great picture but shows where the torsion springs are. I think clicking on pict will make it larger?

If you need a better picture let me know. My Comet is sitting in my shop with the trunk lid off right now.

Lou

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Thanks Lou and Jim ,kind of hard to tell.in my pics My verticals come up right at the crest of where the trunk pan rises and and flattens out. .then there will be 1/2 of material bolted to that in the trunk if that help...dang computer crash

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

one side of each rod will move with the hinge.simulate the hinge movement & you should be able to see where the rods will be. here's another shot of rods on hinges.

Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:Thanks Lou and Jim ,kind of hard to tell.in my pics My verticals come up right at the crest of where the trunk pan rises and and flattens out. .then there will be 1/2 of material bolted to that in the trunk if that help...dang computer crash
Are you talking about the 4 verticals you have coming up from trunk floor to the underneath of the rear package tray?

If so I took a square today put it upright with one side flat with floor and brought the vertical edge of square back too where the trunk rises and flattens out. The vertical edge of square ended up a little over two inches (about 2.25") in front of the torsion springs (rods). So if your putting a panel there 1/2" thick you should still have 1.5" clearance to the springs, probably a little more.

Lou

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Yes that's exactly right Lou those verticals,thanks for all the effort and picture

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

If ya wanna make a tool.
torsion spring tool spec [800x600].jpg
torsion spring tool spec [800x600].jpg (31.34 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.