Finally, the Picture

Let everyone know a little about yourself
poboyjo65

Re: Finally, the Picture

Post by poboyjo65 »

poboyjo65 wrote:Look on your keyboard at the corners for the Ctrl button, hold that down while scrolling your mouse
Maybe all puters dont do it but when I do it it makes your whole car appear but it also makes the print smaller
Johno

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

poboyjo65 wrote:Look on your keyboard at the corners for the Ctrl button, hold that down while scrolling your mouse
Damn--that trick does work!

However, I don't need to do that to see what others have posted their pictures. Is there anything else I can do?
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

That is indeed Cali rocker trim.

In my younger day's I didn't think much of whitewall's on Cragar's. You have changed my 54 year old mind.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Maine Pilot wrote:
Damn--that trick does work!

However, I don't need to do that to see what others have posted their pictures. Is there anything else I can do?
I like big pics. I can make it fit the frame but nothing I can do to make a small pic bigger,without getting blurry ,so I cant see the small pics as good. some are so small they're almost useless . I have heard complaints about big pics but I don't get it, you get a better view even if you have to adjust it.
Johno

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

Arrgh! I can't download my pictures from Photobucket in their full sized format, so you'll have to use the "control & scroll" method to see the full pictures.

At any rate here's the story behind my car.

I first saw it at an old car show that's held annually at Old Orchard Beach, Maine about 3 years ago. Although over 300 cars participated, (that's pretty large for a Maine gathering), only a handful had For Sale signs. Yellow, being my favorite color, probably had a lot to do with choosing the Comet, but a negotiated price had a big influence too.

The car was in pretty good shape but still needed some TLC. You could call it a "20-footer," as most of the dings, dents and paint were negligible looked good from that distance. Thankfully, it had spent most of it's life in Washington State where no winter salt was used on the roads; hence no major underbody rust, but some behind the rear window.

After driving it, I realized it was going to be a more work and money to make it drivable. At speeds over 55, the car acted like an unbroken bronco--the front end would swing wildly. When colder weather came, putting the car into "Drive"nothing would happen and it would sit for 10-20 seconds before going into gear. The heater controls were obstinate--the remains of a mouse were found inside the heater box! The oil level went down to less than 4 qts. after 600 miles from chaning the oil. (No leaks on the floor--apparently, it went out the exhaust, but without visible smoke). On and on came the issues.

What did I get myself into?

Since I've had it, the following work was accomplished: Total repaint; complete engine rebuild; auto transmission rebuilt; new, additional rear leaf springs; rear air shocks replaced with 4 new shocks; most front-end components replaced, (tie rods, bushings, etc.); drum brakes replaced; new tires; Cragar wheels; new exhausts; rear bumper re-chromed; broken springs and foam for front bench seat replaced; electronic ignition installed and a few minor electrical components replaced. Presently, the carburetor is being completely overhauled at an out-of-state facility.

Even after all of this, the car wouldn't qualify as a "Concourse d' Elegance" status, but It's a pretty decent daily driver. When the engine was overhauled the shop told me I had a 302--not the original 289! I decided I had put enough money into it, (had to sell the boat), and felt it was a close-enough modification. (Yes--I put the "302" decal on the air filter). Some mis-guided previous owner installed a 3rd brake light on the rear deck; you can see it in a couple of the pictures below. That will probably disappear next year. Once the carb comes back, it'll go into winter storage.

There doesn't seem to be many Comets in New England; I've just seen one brown '66 4-dr. hard top at a local car show and the closest Comet get together seems to be in Erie, PA--over 600 miles from home.

Last edited by Maine Pilot on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey BOY (lol),, thanks for the Ctrl information I haven't been able to see a lot of pictures complete including mine till now!!
Pilot, that is a very nice car now. Thanks for learning to post pics, was worth all the effort just so I could see your car, never mind everyone else. lol
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I have to agree with Sassy, that is one nice looking Comet. Whatever it takes to make it the way you want it, it is to be proud of.

As far as pics being too big reduce the size before uploading to pb then downloading them will be easier. I try to keep my pics at a max 800 x 600.
I have a small zoom box in the lower right side of my display, part of my 'status bar' that I click on and select a zoom size. Helps me to read the small text or to reduce pic sizes as I look at them.
Ron

Ojohnny

Post by Ojohnny »

I like that color, great looking car you have there.

1966comet

Post by 1966comet »

Nice Caliente. I love seeing other 66's. Here's mine with a 390 4 speed bench seat.

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

That's a nice, clean-looking car. What color is it?

ants875

Post by ants875 »

One of my favorite colors from the 60's always looks classy. That is one nice looking car!

Ant

1966comet

Post by 1966comet »

Maine Pilot wrote:That's a nice, clean-looking car. What color is it?
It's Wimbledon white, stock color.