New guy from Gulfport, Ms. just bought a 64 Comet....

Let everyone know a little about yourself
lavron
Site Admin

Re: New guy from Gulfport, Ms. just bought a 64 Comet....

Post by lavron »

On the single master on a '64 the brake switch is screwed into the master cylinder. There wasn't a dual and I think Rocket is saying when you switch too a dual it is on the rear.

I think I will go with one similar to this when I make the switch - http://www.ebay.com/itm/322012637515?ss ... 1436.l2649

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

lavron wrote:On the single master on a '64 the brake switch is screwed into the master cylinder. There wasn't a dual and I think Rocket is saying when you switch too a dual it is on the rear.

I think I will go with one similar to this when I make the switch - http://www.ebay.com/itm/322012637515?ss ... 1436.l2649

See Ya,
Mike
I do like this set up you posted here...I may use it also when I redo my brake system. Also, classicautoparts.com has a 7" power booster/single reservoir MC that they claim is designed for disc/drum brake applications. But the darn thins is $370 bucks!.... :shock:
Last edited by Zeek on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

poboyjo65 wrote:Should not be a p valve on the front brakes! you want those to get all the fluid they can get!!! open it all the way up & see if it helps. So is the brass thing a p valve too? I dont blame you, I'd redo it ALL too! get a dual MC with built in r. valve, put the adjus. p. valve on the back brakes, new rubber hoses at the wheels if they look old, & the rear rubber hose while it is apart. do away with the booster if necessary. find a proper tee with a place for the brake light switch for the front brakes. JMO
Oops....my mistake....the adjustable proportioning valve is on the REAR brake line not the front... :oops: Either way....its all going to be changed out very soon.. :wink:

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Most of the time (all?) power and manual brake pedals are different (pivot point to affect ratio). If you've got a power pedal and want to switch, you'll need to change pedals. IMO a MC from a '67 'Stang, '74 Maverick, or 'late 80's Ranger (manual brake version) could be used. IIRC the first two are 7/8" bore and the Ranger part is 15/16" bore…more pressure, less travel. The Ranger part is what I'm attempting to use with the 4-wheel disc setup on the Comet…we'll see. I suspect it'll be fine, but I've got a 1" alternative hanging out if not. I like the Ranger part since it's a triangulated design (safer), aluminum (won't rust), and has a groove for the lock ring on the push rod.

Lemme know if part numbers would help ya. Also, Denis over at CSRP has a slick mounting bracket for proportioning valves that mounts it under the MC. I believe he sells a lot of parts separate from the kits.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Just a quick update......decided to flip this car for a tidy little profit so she is now gone to her new owner. I did have fun with it, but have other projects to get done! Thanks for all the input, info and help! Take care guys...nice meeting ya'll! :D