New guy from Gulfport, Ms. just bought a 64 Comet....

Let everyone know a little about yourself
pugs65

Re: New guy from Gulfport, Ms. just bought a 64 Comet....

Post by pugs65 »

Zeek, I can you a tire size in the mornin for the rear. I'm running 17s all the way around. As for the w/o. South Bern rod and air.has a unit that goes under the dash. Their web site is http://www.southernrods.com. That's who I got mine from. Can get the whole kit or just pieces. If you go to a show you can get it from them a little cheaper than catalog price, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

pugs65 wrote:Zeek, I can you a tire size in the mornin for the rear. I'm running 17s all the way around. As for the w/o. South Bern rod and air.has a unit that goes under the dash. Their web site is http://www.southernrods.com. That's who I got mine from. Can get the whole kit or just pieces. If you go to a show you can get it from them a little cheaper than catalog price, Pugs.
Those rear wheels and tires look good on yours.....are your rear wheel wells stock or did you move the springs inboard? Thanks for the A/C website too.... :)

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

pugs65 wrote:Zeek, I can you a tire size in the mornin for the rear..................Pugs.
Still waiting for that tire size...... :roll: :? :mrgreen:

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Sorry Zeek. Tires are 235/55 17's. Wheel wells have been beat to fit painted to match. :D Nothing has been moved in. Springs are in the stock location. I just beat the wheel wells out on the back and in on the front side of the wheel wells. Sorry it took so long, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

pugs65 wrote: Wheel wells have been beat to fit painted to match. :D
:lol: Tried & True Tennessee Technology! :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

:wink: :wink: :shock: leave it to DANIEL BOONE OR WAS IT DAVY CROCKETT ////??????????? it was one of those coon skin caps wearing guys :shock: :shock: :? :?toten a 9ft pee shooter :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pop/glenda

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Pop, I've always been told to improvise, adapt, and overcome. And anything worth doing is worth over doin. Moderation is for cowards. That was our motto when I was on our bomb squad. Had a blast. :mrgreen: Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

BET you did have a blast with the bomb squad,,,,,, :!: :!: pop
pop/glenda

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

pugs65 wrote:Sorry Zeek. Tires are 235/55 17's. Wheel wells have been beat to fit painted to match. :D Nothing has been moved in. Springs are in the stock location. I just beat the wheel wells out on the back and in on the front side of the wheel wells. Sorry it took so long, Pugs.

Thanks Pugs!....I dont mind a little beaten N' fittin...... :mrgreen: :D

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

but the pedal is very hard
The jelly jar MC is a single circuit - I wonder if your feeding the front discs with a 10lb. residual valve in said circuit. I'd think that'd be an easy check on the MC, and I would also expect the front discs to be dragging; pop a wheel off and try to turn it. If the MC has been replaced, you'd probably have to check to see if a residual valve is installed. I haven't (sadly) seen any new production or refurbs that include them. Ya never know!! :shock: :lol:

If you want to keep power brakes, ABS has the only booster I know of that'll fit with a dual MC.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Rocket989 wrote:
but the pedal is very hard
The jelly jar MC is a single circuit - I wonder if your feeding the front discs with a 10lb. residual valve in said circuit. I'd think that'd be an easy check on the MC, and I would also expect the front discs to be dragging; pop a wheel off and try to turn it. If the MC has been replaced, you'd probably have to check to see if a residual valve is installed. I haven't (sadly) seen any new production or refurbs that include them. Ya never know!! :shock: :lol:

If you want to keep power brakes, ABS has the only booster I know of that'll fit with a dual MC.

I dont see any residual valve, but here is a picture of all the monkey motion for the brakes. (notice the adjustable proportioning valve going to the front braks on the firewall) After the Crusin The Coast run the first week in October, I plan on re-doing a lot of things on this car. The two main ones being the brakes and the entire wire harnes...... :shock: :roll:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Should not be a p valve on the front brakes! you want those to get all the fluid they can get!!! open it all the way up & see if it helps. So is the brass thing a p valve too? I dont blame you, I'd redo it ALL too! get a dual MC with built in r. valve, put the adjus. p. valve on the back brakes, new rubber hoses at the wheels if they look old, & the rear rubber hose while it is apart. do away with the booster if necessary. find a proper tee with a place for the brake light switch for the front brakes. JMO
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yea, x2 w/ John…you don't want the proportioning valve doing ANYTHING w/ the front brakes! I THOUGHT the mechanical switch went in with the rear brakes, but it'll work on either. Ron Francis Parts makes a 3/8-24 IF to 1/8" female NPT to 3/8-24 IF tee that works great for the switch.

Most of the time the residual valve is built into the master cylinder (not much more than a rubber flap and spring. The goal is to keep pressure in the lines to reduce pedal throw with drum brakes (e.g keeping the shoes closer to the drums). You can check the MC w/ a paper clip…

Some disc systems (and all disc systems w/ the MC mounted LOWER than the calipers) use a residual valve, but it's 2-lbs., not 10-lbs. like drums. I used a 2-lb. inline valve from Wilwood for my rear discs based on feedback from a bunch of folks using the same calipers (to reduce/ eliminate chatter)… Dunno if it'll be needed or not.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Rock - on 65's the light switch is on the pedal arm. I'm not sure about 64's, I thought it was on the tee for the fronts? :?
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

poboyjo65 wrote:Rock - on 65's the light switch is on the pedal arm. I'm not sure about 64's, I thought it was on the tee for the fronts? :?
Yeah, I know FOORRRD went to the electric switch in '65. For some reason I like the pressure switch (really dunno why); I thought I read it went in the rear feed on dual MC's be I'll be danged if I can remember where... :? We'll see if it works... :wink: :lol: :lol: