New guy from Gulfport, Ms. just bought a 64 Comet....

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Zeek

Re: New guy from Gulfport, Ms. just bought a 64 Comet....

Post by Zeek »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Welcome aboard! You're in the best place for Comet info. John mentioned your single-bowl mc. Since the shock tower has been cut out, the mc booster was probably added later, probably along with the swap to front disc brakes. If the perpetrator didn't know enough to know the need for the brace to be reinstalled, he may not have known to add a proportioning valve, either. You need that to prevent the tendency for the rear drum brakes to lock up before the front discs on a hard stop. You should probably check that out before somebody pulls out in front of you and you end up swapping ends trying to avoid them. :shock: Here's a link to a topic on shock tower braces for a info, too.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... port+brace
Jim
Thanks for the input about the export brace. I read the entire thread, but no where did anyone mention how to install it. Obviously the old brace must be cut out and the new one just bolts to the existing shock towers. But how does it attach to the fire wall?

PS: Just ordered a new export brace on Ebay (my favorite place to shop! :) )

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

You drill holes through the cowl lip and bolt 'er on! Most folks put brace (piece of angle) above or below the lip to reinforce that area.

On the Master Cylinder, it might be tough to find a dual bowl that'll work with the booster; a lot of 'em will be too long. A few folks on here have used the smaller booster from ABS Power Brakes. You might also check with Denis at CSRP.

BTW: Good looking '64!! :D :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If you ordered the one from the link on the thread that Jim posted, from ebay, that is the one I got & is as cheap as you'll find with shipping , & is a good piece. Like rocket said most ppl put a piece of thin angle iron on the cowl, welded or bolted. I put mine underneath the lip/flange & it doesn't show. but you'll need to get all of the old braces off to put it under the lip. I used some angle I had laying around,drilled out the spotwelds of the old braces from the lip & welded on the angle piece thru those holes. but you could bolt on that too if you wanted.

If the stripe bothers you ,it could be painted to stand out less ,black or blue would not jump out at you so much. or Plasti dip it, then it could be changed easier.
Johno

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Rocket989 wrote:You drill holes through the cowl lip and bolt 'er on! Most folks put brace (piece of angle) above or below the lip to reinforce that area.

On the Master Cylinder, it might be tough to find a dual bowl that'll work with the booster; a lot of 'em will be too long. A few folks on here have used the smaller booster from ABS Power Brakes. You might also check with Denis at CSRP.

BTW: Good looking '64!! :D :lol:

Speedway motors sells this MC kit but it is for 64 Mustang. I wonder if it would fit the 64 Comet?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Power-Bra ... y=910-6466

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

poboyjo65 wrote:If you ordered the one from the link on the thread that Jim posted, from ebay, that is the one I got & is as cheap as you'll find with shipping , & is a good piece. Like rocket said most ppl put a piece of thin angle iron on the cowl, welded or bolted. I put mine underneath the lip/flange & it doesn't show. but you'll need to get all of the old braces off to put it under the lip. I used some angle I had laying around,drilled out the spotwelds of the old braces from the lip & welded on the angle piece thru those holes. but you could bolt on that too if you wanted.

If the stripe bothers you ,it could be painted to stand out less ,black or blue would not jump out at you so much. or Plasti dip it, then it could be changed easier.
Yes, that is the one I ordered. Seemed like a pretty good price.

I kinda like that plasti dip idea for the stripe....I may have to experiment.....;)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea if it was more of a ghost stripe it might look better, maybe a shade different blue. I love the color of the car!! :D

I noticed other brands have peel off paint now. I think duplicolor has some new stuff.
Johno

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

poboyjo65 wrote:Yea if it was more of a ghost stripe it might look better, maybe a shade different blue. I love the color of the car!! :D

I noticed other brands have peel off paint now. I think duplicolor has some new stuff.
Hey poboy....I notice you have some pretty good size tires on the rear in your signature. Did you relocate the leaf springs? What size wheels and tires are you using?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I moved the framerails in 5'' & minitubbed it. they are 15x10 wheels with 295/50/15 right now but plan to get 29x15.50x15 but I need to alter my openings,move them forward some, may do it this winter. btw that pic makes these look bigger than real life.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Zeek wrote:Hey poboy....I notice you have some pretty good size tires on the rear in your signature. Did you relocate the leaf springs? What size wheels and tires are you using?
He answered, but set aside some time (maybe a week) and read his build thread on here.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4363

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I throw part of the blame on this guy for putting up pics that make it look so easy :lol: :lol:
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=9&t=3354
but his pics came in handy for viewing the bottom of a comet without effort :D !
Johno

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

lavron wrote:
He answered, but set aside some time (maybe a week) and read his build thread on here.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4363

See Ya,
Mike

Wow....I browsed the first 5 pages.....pretty ambitious project!.....I think I will just go with the leaf spring relocaters.....lol......;)

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Great looking piece!
Beautiful colour, nice wheels.
Welcome to the site.
How much wheel and tire do you plan go put under the car?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

This guy did the relocaters & all the tubs he could get,& he put a pretty nice size tire under it.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=9&t=2250
Johno

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

SASSY wrote:Great looking piece!
Beautiful colour, nice wheels.
Welcome to the site.
How much wheel and tire do you plan go put under the car?
Fred
Thanks Fred....I love the color also! I dont yet know what size W&T yet....the biggest that will fit I guess....lol.... :mrgreen:

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

poboyjo65 wrote:This guy did the relocaters & all the tubs he could get,& he put a pretty nice size tire under it.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=9&t=2250

Interesting thread. I didnt know you had to notch out the frame rails to do that mod. Not to offend the builder of that car, but I would not trust those welds at all on that rear end mod...... :shock: