New guy from Gulfport, Ms. just bought a 64 Comet....

Let everyone know a little about yourself
SASSY

Re: New guy from Gulfport, Ms. just bought a 64 Comet....

Post by SASSY »

Zeek wrote:
SASSY wrote:Great looking piece!
Beautiful colour, nice wheels.
Welcome to the site.
How much wheel and tire do you plan go put under the car?
Fred
Thanks Fred....I love the color also! I dont yet know what size W&T yet....the biggest that will fit I guess....lol.... :mrgreen:
More than an 8 inch wheel will be tough..
10s will require spring relocation, frame rail modification and mini tubs.
I have always said get the wheels and tires you really want and do what it takes to make them fit.
IMO, regardless of how wide you go I think the rear tires need to be tall and the car needs to be down on them.
This is just my opinion, everybody has one.
Build it to make U HAPPY!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If you read on a little further someone else noticed those bad welds & spoke up about them & he redid them, said he had his welder set wrong.

It's always good to research a major mod like that to see what all is involved, as you just found out. It's always good to know as much as possible what you about to step off in. :lol:
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Zeek,,, Nice Comet! I also like the blue.
235/60 or 245/60 (with proper size and offset wheel) is about all you can fit on the rear without modifications.
This is the most comprehensive forum on Comets there is, I'm sure you will enjoy it here.
poboyjo65 wrote:I throw part of the blame on this guy for putting up pics that make it look so easy :lol: :lol:
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=9&t=3354
but his pics came in handy for viewing the bottom of a comet without effort :D !
I accept none of the blame. :) and it is easy :wink: just a little time consuming .

Lou

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lou's Comet wrote:I accept none of the blame. and it is easy just a little time consuming
It is easier when you can spin your car up on it's side I am sure :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou whether you accept it not I'm still throwing part of it on you! :lol: Glad I did it now but I was in up to my ears for a couple years! Not as easy on jackstands vs a rotisserie. but at least I wasn't in a tent! :lol: I drew inspiration from Russ's 64 doing it in a tent, as well as others like Groover & Maverick who was battling the rust monster too. Glad all of that is done & still have more room for bigger tires! :P
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

lavron wrote:
Lou's Comet wrote:I accept none of the blame. and it is easy just a little time consuming
It is easier when you can spin your car up on it's side I am sure :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
You would be right! Although I was originally going to just roll the Comet up on its side to do the job. Then got the rotisserie, which was easier. Before the rotisserie I would just lay down big sheet of styrofoam and roll the body on its side and then do the underside. Not to hard to do and never did any damage to the cars. When I was younger seen a local guy do it to mustang. That always stuck with me.
poboyjo65 wrote:Lou whether you accept it not I'm still throwing part of it on you! :lol: Glad I did it now but I was in up to my ears for a couple years! Not as easy on jackstands vs a rotisserie. but at least I wasn't in a tent! :lol: I drew inspiration from Russ's 64 doing it in a tent, as well as others like Groover & Maverick who was battling the rust monster too. Glad all of that is done & still have more room for bigger tires! :P
Lol, I definitely understand the "couple years". I was lucky with mine not a lot of rust. Although still made floors. JMO but big tires make a car. And I too am glad that part is over with.

Lou

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lou's Comet wrote: I would just lay down big sheet of styrofoam and roll the body on its side
I saw a guy do it with a mattress, I guess with a stripped body it is not all that heavy.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Lou's Comet wrote:Zeek,,, Nice Comet! I also like the blue.
235/60 or 245/60 (with proper size and offset wheel) is about all you can fit on the rear without modifications.
This is the most comprehensive forum on Comets there is, I'm sure you will enjoy it here.
Lou
That would be plenty of tire for me....I dont plan on doing anything but cruising the coast and enjoying the beach scenery......Hell, I could even live with whats on there now....but I always like to put as much rubber between the rear fenders as possible without too much modification.....I may just experiment with a 16 or 17 inch wheel with an 8 inch width.....I just got the car and a million ideas are going thru my head.... :shock:

Plus...I still have my 41 Ford 2 door sedan project to get started on if I dont sell it first...... :mrgreen:

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

poboyjo65 wrote:If you ordered the one from the link on the thread that Jim posted, from ebay, that is the one I got & is as cheap as you'll find with shipping , & is a good piece. Like rocket said most ppl put a piece of thin angle iron on the cowl, welded or bolted. I put mine underneath the lip/flange & it doesn't show. but you'll need to get all of the old braces off to put it under the lip. I used some angle I had laying around,drilled out the spotwelds of the old braces from the lip & welded on the angle piece thru those holes. but you could bolt on that too if you wanted.

If the stripe bothers you ,it could be painted to stand out less ,black or blue would not jump out at you so much. or Plasti dip it, then it could be changed easier.

Well I got my export brace today and it looks like a very simple install....once you grind off the old brace.....I also tried that idea of using rust o leum peel paint spray over the white stripe. While I do like the look MUCH better then the white stripe, Im not crazy about the paint. It was very hard to try and get an even coat and it just looks a little funny.....looks good in the pic so you can get an idea of the contrast from white to blue...but Im gonna peel it off and re spray.....

Also..I posted elsewhere in here about a great deal I got on a pair of air Shocks for the rear. Well I go to install the new shocks and crawl under the car and low and behold.....It already has a new pair of air shocks installed!..... :oops: :D So I put a little air in em and got the car level and it looks much better with that stance.....;)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well it doesn't jump all up in your face like the white did. I think if it was a darker blue it might look more like a ghost stripe, which I think would look good. But that like you have it looks much better to me .

Hey did the export brace have a brand? I couldn't remember .
Johno

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Welcome aboard Zeek. You've joined the best darn Comet group around. Can't wait to see your progress and updates to your car, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

poboyjo65 wrote:Well it doesn't jump all up in your face like the white did. I think if it was a darker blue it might look more like a ghost stripe, which I think would look good. But that like you have it looks much better to me .

Hey did the export brace have a brand? I couldn't remember .
Well....Im going a different route with the ugly white stripe.......I came up with something I like much better...I ran a red pinstripe (tape decal) along the stripe and I love it....Well...at least until I can strip and repaint the stripe. The only problem is....I painted the trunk with the so called "peelable" paint....that crap is gonna be hard to get off....oh well tomorrows project. Meanwhile, I also installed a new lock for the trunk (if you were observant enough to see in the pics it was missing..lol...) of course the new one was a universal lock and the shaft was way too short so I had to fab one for it.

Oh...the brand for the export brace is a Dynacorn international...made in Tiawan, but looks to be a pretty decent product...We will find out when I install it.... :shock:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea I like that better still. :D Patriotic! Those 3 colors came on most all comets, in the badging. :D
Johno

Zeek

Post by Zeek »

pugs65 wrote:Welcome aboard Zeek. You've joined the best darn Comet group around. Can't wait to see your progress and updates to your car, Pugs.

Thanks Pugs......wont be a whole lot of major progress on this one.....Mostly bolt on mods....Im thinking of going with a 17 inch wheel in back and a 16 in front...found the wheels....just dont know what tires will fit....Gonna do the interior in a white tuck and roll with bucket seats....The drive line is very strong so I dont plan on doing much with it...just fix the minor oil leaks...got the new export tower support to replace the stock and missing one....and will also clean up the engine and compartment. Probably the biggest expense will be the rust repair and repaint...gonna keep the same color since all the door jams and all are painted and I do love the color....(minus the stripes..lol...) Also Im on the search for a new dual type master cylinder...it has front disc brakes with a proportioning valve...but the pedal is very hard. Stops ok, but just doesnt feel right....Oh yeah...must have AC...lol....anyone know who sells the best aftermarket bolt on system for the comet????

Love this forum....thanks for all the input....and dont be afraid to hit me with the bad also....I can handle constructive criticism... :wink:

Here is the rear wheels Im getting....if you put 64 Comet in the search engine...it says its compatible... :?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142058435382?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

right name ,,just wrong style for OL POP...they remind me too much of cragers.....but that's JMO ...BUT WHEN ALBERT reads this he'll bust a gut......pop :shock: :lol:
pop/glenda