Hello from the Pony Shop

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Ponyshopguy

Hello from the Pony Shop

Post by Ponyshopguy »

Hi everyone, this is my first time on this forum. I joined for a specific reason :) ok to give you a quick background, I've been collecting vintage mustangs for the past 10 years both resto mods and shelbys. Along the way I picked up a 1961 Mercury comet out of a farmers barn and restored it as best as I could. The Signal Red paint is original and restored beautifully. My goal is to give the finished car to my daughter in law who knows cars as well as I do. The 170 inline runs well even though it has the "stumble" with the starved fuel log issue. I'm not happy with my brake job which I completely rebuilt with all new parts, lines , master cylinder and brake cylinders. I stopped at retrofitting a booster and am rethinking my strategy. I love the 13 inch original rims as I powder coated them with whitewalls but now want to put in a disc conversion kit. That puts me on track to upgrade to 14 or 15 inch rims so now I'm thinking to go full Monty and swap to a 302 cid and upgrade the whole car suspension, engine, drive train and rear end :))
It would be a fun project for me, my son and his wife. :) ok back to my specific reason. I'm now searching the Internet for what is the best combo. I found a site for the motor mount upgrade but thought I would start here with any suggestions and/or advice. My shop is well equipped to handle this project and I'm an old gear head from the 60s except for welding lol.
I will start searching the forum but thought i should introduce myself first thanks
Ponyshopguy

popscomet

Re: Hello from the Pony Shop

Post by popscomet »

WELCOME,glad to have ya................good luck on your comet..........pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard!
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome aboard! :D Since you are planning for a new suspension ,the most common changes ,because they are the best are; upgrade to 65 (V8) steering, disc conversion, 8 or 9'' rear ( depending on HP level). 8'' from a 70's maverick or comet is a bolt in. toploader 4sp is a bolt in or T5 with a little cutting for a manual trans or C4 auto. best bang for the buck on the disc is CSRP, some of their kits have the spindles you will need for the 65 steering upgrade. I have the first kit & well pleased with it & is complete except for hardlines & fluid. power kits are available but manual kit is easy enough for most ppl.
http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang%20 ... TALOG.html
All of the susp & steering parts, can be sourced from mustang parts venders except the leafsprings, & F. shocks & center link has to be for a 65 comet/falcon. I went with a 16:1 borgeson PS sector conversion, some are going to electric power steering which is much cheaper with junkyard parts. both are better than the original ,IMO.
Johno

Ponyshopguy

Post by Ponyshopguy »

Thankyou for the welcome and the great advice poboyjo65 :) I was thinking the T5 as you suggest but the 302 tri star crate is rated at 335 ft lbs so was thinking the tko 600 .86 5th My son is already on this haha and says the tranny tunnel for the 61 may be smaller than later years as it didn't have a v8 option that early. I was wondering if that is the case ? I'll try and post a few pics of old "Red Bull" :) which got his name cause the comet was in the farmers field by the barn and I hopped the fence only to find a bull watching me on the other side of the car lol. I guess the a farmers version of a junk yard dog ![img]

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Welcome to the Forum PonyShop. Looking forward to seeing what you have in the plans, I am a little 6 fan and that is what is staying in my car, but I am currently working on a few upgrades that might even make sense to the V8 guys (I don't have a problem with V8s BTW)

You are correct the trans tunnels are very small on the early Comets and the engine bays are really narrow as well, but there a few folks on here that have done the same things you are looking too do on the pre '64 Comets so it can be done.

I am sure you have figured out that a lot of early Mustang stuff will interchange with the Comet but of course it is narrower than the Mustang so you will probably have to squeeze some stuff in (mostly I think about headers).

I have often wondered about a turbo 4 cylinder out of a T-bird in a little early Comet but haven't seen anyone do that, I know one person here has a 2.4 out of a Ranger PU on here and is happy with it.

You will have to post pictures by having them hosted on something like PhotoBucket and embedding them here, there are instructions on the site.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Ponyshopguy

Post by Ponyshopguy »

Thankyou Mike for the kind words and advice. Yeah I restored a 64 1/2 stang factory D code with 289 4 speed manual. I have a 65, 67, 71 and 07 also. Yes the falcon, mustang and even cougar parts are interchangeable. I love my inline 6 in fact I was going to upgrade the single Holley with a custom spacer to accept a 2 barrel that would kick in at higher load but now a bigger plan. I'll keep you informed as I go, right now we are still planning. I wish I new how to load my car pic in but it says I am over the limit in pixel size? Warm regards

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Here is how to post pics using a host;
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=1&t=2448
Johno

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Welcome aboard ponyshop. You are on the best comet forum around, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!