1964 Carolina/California Comet

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Lowry32

1964 Carolina/California Comet

Post by Lowry32 »

I've been out of the classic car game for a few years. I had a 1973 Comet but had to sell it when I went back to school and moved to Buffalo, NY from CA. Before that, I had a 1974 Datsun 260z V8 conversion project that I never completed. I just got a 1964 Comet 404, 4 door. The original engine was replaced with a 302 and mated to the stock merc-O-matic tranny. My wife found it and bought it for me as a gift. How awesome is that?!!!

Previous owner reupholstered the seats and put in new door trim to match. He also installed front disc brakes (not sure what kind). I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this car and have a lot to learn. The first project will be figuring out the suspension because this thing feels crazy unstable at highway speeds. It wanders all over the place. While I'll do a lot of the small tinkering myself, I'll find a good local shop to handle most upgrades/maintenance. Time is hard to come by for me. Gonna upgrade this bad boy in stages and will do a lot of bolt-on new technology to keep the body as unmolested as possible while putting in stuff that I dig.

My ultimate goal is to have a solid suspension to enjoy the curvy/twisty roads, quick enough off the line to prevent getting embarrassed by stock late model cars at stop lights, and reliable enough to drive whenever/wherever I want.

Likely projects:
1. Suspension upgrade: Maybe the open tracker full suspension kit http://opentrackerracing.com/product/st ... 1965-1966/
2. Custom car audio - nothing too crazy. I'll keep the stock radio hooked up to the center dash speaker to get my AM radio fix but I'll add a hidden receiver. I'll probably get the modified kick panels and put in some 6 1/2s hooked up to a decent amp along with my JL audio amp/sub from my old car.
3. Dynomat and new weather stripping for improved audio and reduced road noise.
4. Pertronix electronic ignition conversion.
5. New wheels: Thinking about 16x7's.
6. EFI conversion - One of those bolt on self tuning units. Pricey but I really prefer the reliability of fuel injection so it's worth it to me.
7. Engine rebuild vs crate engine with HP goal over 300 to the wheels.
8. Upgraded exhaust to minimize power restriction while minimizing loudness. I want a quiet, ninja/sleeper car.
9. AOD tranny and a more aggressive final gear and stout driveline to handle new engine mods.

That's all that comes to mind right now. And obviously, some will change as I learn more from this forum.
Those who fail to plan, plan to fail

lavron
Site Admin

Re: 1964 Carolina/California Comet

Post by lavron »

Welcome Lowry, it looks like a nice Comet, I am sure you will find all kinds of advice here on the way others have done similar modifications like you are planning.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

Very nice 4dr Comet. What a difference it makes driving with updated front end!
Enjoy! NP Dave

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THAT;S A VERY NICE looking 64,,welcome and enjoy your ride,,,sounds like you have a plan !! POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

welcome on ! sounds like you have a plan! If you post up some pics we can probably tell what disc's you have. 65 steering with make it drive much better. It is the most popular upgrade for earlier cars.It takes the wandering bump steer out of it.
The 2 best upgrades for handling that I did to mine was shelby quick steer kit & the 16:1 borgesen PS conversion. s wheel has 3 turns lock to lock vs 5.5 turns stock.
Johno

albert

Post by albert »

Very nice 4 door Comet, also like your tag line I use it when I give presentations "If you fail to plan, You plan to fail" Welcome to where all of the Comet Experts reside.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! There's plenty of help and knowledge to be gained right here just for the asking.
Jim

Lowry32

Post by Lowry32 »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've been driving it as my main mode of transportation since I got it and couldn't be happier. I've been looking for any excuse to go for a drive. 'Honey, we're low on milk. I'm gonna run to the store.' or 'I'm gonna return that thing to that store all the way across town.' Forget about a car to get me from point A to B. The point of the task is to get in my car, cruise, and take the long way.

I'll pull off a wheel and get a pic of the disc brakes for y'all to ID.
Those who fail to plan, plan to fail

comethead

Post by comethead »

I like it the way it is! Hubcaps and all!
I think the Opentracker kit is a bit of overkill for the street. A good stock rebuild will do ya...unless you got 2Gs just burning a hole in your pocket.
65 steering would help, but isn't necessary.

Anyhow, nice little 4 door!!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Groover

Post by Groover »

Great Car! and welcome aboard.

This will be no shock to others on the forum, but I'd leave it just as it is, and drive it with the biggest grin I could muster (fixing anything that needs to be fixed of course).
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Welcome aboard Lowry. Great lookin Comet. As long as your happy driving it that is all that matters. Upgrades are always good. Best to be done in the cold months that way you can enjoy the car in the summer. JMO, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!