My Comet

Let everyone know a little about yourself
CometCaliente65

My Comet

Post by CometCaliente65 »

Hello all,

I have this 65 Comet Caliente which was handed down to me. It's been sitting for years and I'm finally thinking about doing something with it. I was maybe going to sell it but now I think it might be cool to hold on to and try to learn about fixing up a car or getting an engine going that's been sitting for years. However I have little experience in working on cars other than changing my own oil but there is a lot of info on the internet and I am fairly interested in learning to work on cars more although this may be just too much.

First issue I've run into if I want to keep it is getting it moved under cover. It is currently outside in the elements. I jacked up the wheels and only one tire/wheel moves freely. I'm guessing the other 3 are locked up from the drum brakes. I tried to get a drum brake off but have been unsuccessful so far.

Any suggestions about what to try or do with this car?

I tried uploading some pictures but it said the files are too big so sorry about that.

Loner

Re: My Comet

Post by Loner »

Welcome to the forum
Get the tires aired up and pull the car around a bit sometimes that will do the trick in getting them unstuck.
Make sure the e-brake is all the way off. It can be stuck also from sitting. Pictures would be cool.
I just started using Postimage (thanks to Johno)for posting pictures,works better than anything else I have used.

Matt

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D
Johno

CometCaliente65

Yeah I wish I could air up the tires, but they are rotted and off the rims. This is a dumb question but I will have many if I get into this. Where is the parking break? I'm assuming it is an automatic but I'm not sure as there are three pedals unless one is a parking break pedal

CometCaliente65

Well It might be a 3 on the tree transmission. It's got a hard top which I would have to convert to a convertible if I ever wanted to drive it as I am 6'5'' tall. I was surprised at how little room there is in the car compared with how big it actually is

Loner

Post by Loner »

Parking brake is under left side of steering column.
I'm 3 or 4 inches over 6ft and I have never had a issue in Comets or Falcons but I do move the seat back in most cars I own. If you do deside to sell it I'm sure one of the guys on here will take it off your hands if the price is right.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I made some adapters for mine. I'm only 6'1'' but I like my leg room. I first made them 5'' further back than stock but it was too far for me & nearly touched the rear seat :roll: so I drilled more holes in them for a 3'' further back. also if you raise the front of the seat a half inch or more it will give more leg room & tilt the seat's back some too.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! Here's a link that tells you how to post pictures on this site using photobucket.com, but, like Loner said, Postimage works better as the host. http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=1&t=2448 Get some pictures on here of the items you have questions about, and we'll be glad to help out where we can. Put a set of used tires from the flea market on it to get it moving so you can work on it. Between this forum and the resources we can recommend, you can get it up and running. You may not know much about cars now, but you're never too old to learn. :D
Jim