64 Caliente 4 door

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Glasslaws

64 Caliente 4 door

Post by Glasslaws »

Greetings everyone! I had this huge story, but I need to go to work soon booooooo. I've been on the hunt for a little desert time capsule for years. Found a few, but nothing got me on the phone...until last week. I called this guy the day I saw the add, and joined the forum the next morning. I read through numerous posts trying to verify the details in the add. Factory 289, 4-speed, bench seat....K code? I found a great story here about the 600 1.12 carb for the 352 etc. Honestly, I haven't even taken the air cleaner off yet. My decision, even before I left on the 26 hour trip to retrieve this thing, was I didn't care if it was real or not. I just wanted the car!! If it all checks out, then fantastic. If not, it's still a bench seat, 4-speed, v8, 4 door and I think that's cool. Real cool. It has so many little details I've been looking for. I'm still chuckling over how rust free, straight and complete this car is. Everything works except the radio and one gauge. There is so much more I want to say, but much like the accessories for the car, the list is all jumbled and unorganized...for now. I have to first sell my foxbody before I can fully focus on this baby.

Loner

Re: 64 Caliente 4 door

Post by Loner »

Nice clean car. Someone took care of that one. 4 speed 4 door I bet they didn't build many like that.
Welcome to the forum.

Matt

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

Welcome and good score! Have not ever seen a 4 door with 4 speed before.
You will have a great time with that 64!!!!
NP Dave

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

K engine code in the Comet was the 225hp 4V 289, not HiPo...regardless a 4-speed, 4V, 4-door, '64 is friggin cool!! Lots of "4's" there!! :D :D :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Wow really nice bottom! Top too! Welcome on! :D
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome a board! Really nice and unique car. 4-door, 4-speed, 4V and 3.25 rear axle.....had to have been special ordered by a family guy with a need for speed. :lol: :lol:

Loner

Post by Loner »

What is wrong with us? It's a Fordor not a 4 door :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matt

Glasslaws

Post by Glasslaws »

Thanks guys! Yeah those uncommon options definitely grabbed my attention. It's been a little over 10 years since I owned a 60's car, and I'm forgetting about all the small things. Like, MIRRORS (just remembered that), and clutch linkage stuff. It chatters so bad trying to engage first gear, but once it gets rolling, it runs great through the rest. Fluid has been changed, but the linkage is original, and trans has never been out. U joints probably worn, and maybe clutch....and maybe everything else in that box haha. I'm pretty good with write ups containing pictures, does anybody know of a thread or book detailing clutch-linkage-trans removal or adjustment or maintenance? Or is it easy, and that's why I haven't found anything yet? In the back of my mind when searching cars, I wanted to wind up with a complete car, so I'd have a road map (with about 50 pictures taken and some hand notes) to taking apart and reinstalling.
I'll have a bunch more questions pretty soon, and I joined the forum to hopefully get advice from experienced folks with messages like "whatever you do, take this out first," or "there's a tiny bolt you need to remove that's hidden behind..."

Glasslaws

Post by Glasslaws »

Ha, found one. Like, Lavron's build thread. A handful of 15 needle bearings. Piñata! Those are some of the surprises I'm looking for.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Tims1965MercuryComet

Post by Tims1965MercuryComet »

Welcome. Where in AZ are you? I am in Wilhoit; on Highway 89, 14 miles south of Prescott and 15 miles north of Yarnell.
Tim
1965 Caliente 4 door
1968 302
Edelbrock Torker manifold and carb

Glasslaws

Post by Glasslaws »

Great link! Thanks!
Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm in San Jose CA. I picked the car up a little north of Tucson.

loman

Post by loman »

Welcome to the site and you have a unique car. I have a question, what is mounted underneath the dash with the red tag?

Glasslaws

Post by Glasslaws »

It's an emergency flash switch. I cracked up when all the lights worked. One less thing to dig into right now. Stang is on the street, and got it in the driveway today! So excited to start wrenching on this. I miss having a 60's car so much. The sound of the doors, hood, trunk...the smell of the exhaust and interior. On a side note, I slept in the back seat at a rest stop for 4 hours, before I even sat in the drivers seat!

Tims1965MercuryComet

Post by Tims1965MercuryComet »

Glasslaws wrote:Great link! Thanks!
Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm in San Jose CA. I picked the car up a little north of Tucson.
If you want to sell the 64 AZ plates, let me know. I have been looking for 64-65 plates. AZ lets us use older plates.
Tim
1965 Caliente 4 door
1968 302
Edelbrock Torker manifold and carb