Let everyone know a little about yourself
joedirt216

Post by joedirt216 »

Hi guys, just wanted to introduce myself. New member from Beautiful Montana. I recently became the lucky owner of a 1964 Comet with 70,000 original miles and the original 170 6cyl in place. I watched this car sitting in a field for a long time, I would stop by every now and then to ask if he would sell the old girl but he never would, it hadn't moved in many years. So one day I stop by and found out the old fella had passed away, f**ning cancer!!! So I talked to his daughter, and she said she would sell me the car. So I hauled it home and it's been sitting for a few years now, but I'm finally caught up on my other projects and ready to put some time into her. So I pulled her in to my shop the other day, tires are bad, brakes don't work, interior is a little rough, but it's all there, the car is complete, just a small amount of work on the rear quarter, busted tail light, but overall the car is not too bad, hell the license plate is from 1965. I bought a new ignition switch with some keys, put a battery in her and thankfully the motor turns over and, I have spark to the coil!!! The points look fried, so I will replace them this week, and try to get her started. I've been a car enthusiast all my life, and do body and paint on the side, so I hope I can share some of my knowledge with you all, and hope to gain some Comet info from this site and it's members. I'll try to post some pics later, Thanks and Cheers!!!!

poboyjo65

Re: New Member

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Welcome Joe, anxious to see and hear about your project, the more sharing we do the better the site is :D even things we think are trivial someone needs to know.

See ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Loner

Post by Loner »

Welcome to the forum.
What part of Montana? I spend a lot of time up there only reason I'm asking.

Matt

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! We need to see some pics of this old girl. You'll have to use a photo hosting site and link the pics. Here's a link that tells you how to do it using Photobucket, but some of us have started using Postimage because it's faster.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=1&t=2448
Jim

wvfarmboy

Post by wvfarmboy »

wwelcone , keep us posted on progress.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

welcome...good luck pop
pop/glenda

joedirt216

Post by joedirt216 »

Thanks guys, I'm from Ramsay. Mt, a little" No Services" town near Butte, Mt we live in the country and have a little bit of property, right on the edge of the forest service border, lots of Elk, and Deer on our place.
So I got the points and condenser installed, replaced the broken fuel lines, dumped some gas in her and found out the gas filler boot in trunk was completely gone, yes I spilled a little, and it sure did smell like turpentine, bad gas for sure, So I unhooked the fuel line at the carb, turned her over for a while, (catching the gas in a bottle) when I figured I had some good gas flowing I hooked up the fuel line and BAM, she fired right up!!! Pulled the radiator cap, and it just fell apart, put some fluid in, new cap I had on the bench, let her run for a bout 15 minutes, checking everything over, and she's actually running great. There was not even a drip of fluid in the brake master cylinder, so that explains the NO BRAKES syndrome, filled her up, pumped the heck out of them and they became fairly solid, so a bit of bleeding and they should be good to go, I'll still pull the drums and check it all out, but over all I'm pretty darn excited she started up, I'm on vacation for the next couple weeks so hoping to get some more things working. Oh, the wipers work, the heater fan turns with a bunch of whining, lights work. I'll try the photo app, and try to get some posted. Cheers, Joedirt216!!!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MAN,! that sounds great.....sounds like you have that DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH !! those little 6cyl fords are so dependable. .....hang in there,, your gonna have a sweet little ride.....your story reminds me way back when I was young and rideing bicyles and watched a 57 ford sit in a back yard for years,,,after I got grown and married ,I got the chance to buy that 57,a fresh set of points and condenser and gas ,and brake fluid,the brks pumped up,drove the whls off of it. I paid 25 dollars for that old ford,,no money down and 5 dollars a week,,told the old woman I'd leave it there til I paid for it.....she said,son ,I trust you,and I want it gone from my yard,,so take it with you today !! I went by every Saturday morning and paid her 5 dollars..after I got that 57 going and all cleaned up from time to time I'd stop by her house and we sat on her frt porch and drink ice tea and just vist...the car had belonged to her son,,,it was a good lookin and great running old ford.......POP
pop/glenda

Loner

Post by Loner »

Sounds like you may be driving her soon. Watch the freeze plugs especially the one on the back of the head. Might be rusting though.
Drove by Ramsey many times after going to Butte for things pertaining to mining mostly. Love the housing architecture in Butte.
Any pictures of your 64?

Matt

joedirt216

Post by joedirt216 »

Pop, that is a great story! Funny, my granddaughters call me Pops, well took the whole family to Seattle for a week and now I'm back home to work on the comet. The drive line was in the trunk but only one ujoint strap, found one at the local yard and got it installed. Of course the tranny was dry, put a bit of juice in and I'll be, she actually moved a little, worked through the gears for a bit to get the fluid in all the right places and forward, and reverse both working. Yeehaw!! Let her sit over night and most of the fluid was on the floor in the morning, darn oring on the filler tube is gone, gonna get one today and see how it does.
I do have some photos and downloaded the Photobucket app, but it updated the 800 and some pics on my phone, I'll try to get some posted soon. Thanks for the great support guys!! Also I'll check out the freeze plugs, I just lost my block heater one in my Bronco. But that's another story!

joedirt216

Post by joedirt216 »

joedirt216

Post by joedirt216 »

The The Image

joedirt216

Post by joedirt216 »

Finally got some photos uploaded but doing this on iPhone is a pita.

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

Looks like you got a good solid 64! Enjoy!
NP Dave