New project

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Goader190

New project

Post by Goader190 »

2017-08-09 19.19.34.jpg
2017-08-09 19.19.34.jpg (39.33 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
Hello all i have just purchased a 65 comet well maybe I should say I rescued a 65 2 door hardtop comet it has been sitting in this guy's yard for 20 years and as a little rough. I am not a Ford or Mercury guy I am a Chevy guy so my plan is yes everybody hold your tongue I am going to do a LS swap on my 65 Mercury Comet. I'm not sure if anybody else is done this so if somebody has I could use whatever info they got thank you
65 Comet Caliente plans for heavy mods

poboyjo65

Re: New project

Post by poboyjo65 »

You'll have both worlds mad at you & no body would ever buy it ! think of Fred Sanfords face when Esther walks in :x ,,,, that's what mine looks like right now! :lol:
Johno

Goader190

Post by Goader190 »

Lol ur ride is quite nice but I don't think both worlds will hate me maybe just the ford world the ls is a cheap platform to make a lot of power. I bought the car for a project because of the price I only paid $350 for it and I love the lines of the body.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! John's right. The Chevy guys will say you wasted a good engine, and the Ford guys will say you ruined a good car. :shock: Guess it won't matter if you plan on keeping it forever. The blood on this forum runs deep blue, so I doubt you'll find much help for your engine swap. Nobody's wanted to do it that I'm aware of. Any questions on the rest of the car, though, we'll be glad to help you with. After all, if you fix it up real nice, maybe someone will take it off your hands one day and put a real engine in it. :lol:
Jim

Goader190

Post by Goader190 »

Well thank thank you for the warm welcome the help with the rest of the car will be very appreciated there are several pieces that I have missing from my puzzle and I'm hoping that I'll find what I'm looking for on here that's why I signed up plus it'll give you guys one more person you can pick on you guys do a good job and weird a lot information on them forum I've learned quite a bit about the car just for the few hours and I've been looking at it

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Welcome to the forum Goader.

Like Jim said pretty much going to find hostility here toward the bow tie, don't take it personal :P There is a rule here that it is yours you do what you want to it. That being said you might want to keep questions related to the part that stays Ford because you might get some help on the other but not much and lots of negativity :roll: One thing I can say, these guys know their (Ford) stuff here.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Goader190

Post by Goader190 »

I got no problem with that I have thick skin I'm a mechanic I know how it works not to mention everybody gets a laugh and with me joining The Forum I was a whole reason why I joined it because I know from looking at the Forum that the guys that are on here know what they're talking about and the car is in pretty bad shape and I'm going to have to do a lot of stuff to it not including the engine stuff because I would like to be able to drive this car as a daily driver or do whatever so you need help from you guys on the blue side is greatly appreciated the boat outside I'll keep it to myself unless I feel like I need to pick on you guys or mess with you

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Welcome aboard! You're free to do whatever you want with your car in my opinion, but expect some flack! At least you're not cutting up a pristine car for an LS swap! The LS engines are great engines, don't get me wrong, GM has the right idea staying with pushrods, keeps the engine so compact. But cars like Comets deserve the correct powerplant IMHO. I expect you're in for a lot of work getting it and whatever trans you're using to fit. Sounds like the car is pretty rough. Would be a shame to do all that work to it and then go with an LS :roll:
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I'll sate my view once here, Ford in a Ford.
We've had your kind here before, first do you even own the car or a you just here to get a giggle.
Second,I won't waste my time helping some Chevy guy destroy a Comet, and anyone on here that
does is no better than a chev guy!!! IMHO
FRED
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Goader190

Post by Goader190 »

Well i respect your opinion and Iam disappointed that you feel that way. So first I am a car guy I like all of them no mater who makes it or whats under the hood. So to anwser your questions I am not "one of those guys" I didnt join this forum for a giggle and I do own the car I joined for info on my new car that i know little about. When people see the car going down the road they wont know that it has a chevy in it. I bought the car because it was rotting away in some guys yard and the LS swop is cheap. If the car was perfect I wouldnt be doing it iam not that guy. I hope that your fellow forum guys dont listen to you and be as narrow minded as you. I know the only help I ll get is on the car but thats all the info i need.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL,most of us are that narrow minded,,I am for sure,but it's your car so do with it what you like...I for one will not offer any info to help you nor will I wish you any good luck..we've had some that did or tried to do what your going to do,,they were not received any warmer then you..and they left !! just because you think it's a good idea to make that engine swap..don't expect us true ford guys to side with you.....you can come up with reasons why to do what your doing all you want to ..but there is not a single good reason.....what you have after the engine swap is just a worthless item,,,it has no true value! I'll not click on NEW PROJECT again..it's of no interest to me..and I also know you don't care what I think or how anybody else thinks..your gonna do it your way,,,,but to make a comet chevy pwr'd is so wrong..... most times I sign off with a good luck or a thank you...but not this time...( I know your gonna talk smack on a reply,,but it will not be read by me)
pop/glenda

Goader190

Post by Goader190 »

Well you dont know me and i didnt join to talk smack the only smack talking is from you. The best part about this is you cant stop me from clicking on any thread to get my answers to any questions. I am a very resourceful person so with or without your opinion or help ill get it done and be sure to give my opinion on questions from anyone inclouding you Iam a mechanic I do all my work my self I have worked for several dealerships of all kinds of manufacturers too bad you want to be like that to me. O yea you arent going to run me off from here i will follow the rules and share my knowledge of what i know and what i try dealing with the blue blood part of my car. Just save your disrespect for yourself. And by the way your car looks awesome and hope to have one that looks as good as yours. thanks again for your opinion and your "no good luck" sad its got to be like this with you maybe one day you will come around and not worry about whats under my hood and by the way just for you ill paint the eng ford blue

Loner

Post by Loner »

You sure got off on the wrong foot fast.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

A cheap swap is a 5.0/T-5/8.8. Go to a junk yard or surf CL, find an 88-93 fox body, running or not, for a song. Swap it all, leave the patina, if that's your gig, then find a Maverick/Granada or similar for the front disc conversion, and voila! 4 wheel disc, over drive, roller motor, good high way manners, offends few, supported by many, quick and fun.

Or fight an LS in with a trans that won't fit just to stir the pot. . . . .

That being said, while I don't agree with everyone on everything, as a grown a$$ man I don't walk into a room and toss something offensive out there just to see what happens.

Good luck.
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

bigdan wrote:A cheap swap is a 5.0/T-5/8.8. Go to a junk yard or surf CL, find an 88-93 fox body, running or not, for a song. Swap it all, leave the patina, if that's your gig, then find a Maverick/Granada or similar for the front disc conversion, and voila! 4 wheel disc, over drive, roller motor, good high way manners, offends few, supported by many, quick and fun.

Or fight an LS in with a trans that won't fit just to stir the pot. . . . .

That being said, while I don't agree with everyone on everything, as a grown a$$ man I don't walk into a room and toss something offensive out there just to see what happens.

Good luck.
Yep, or find a 96-01 Explorer 5.0L V8, grab the engine - GT40 or GT40P heads, grab the rear axle - 3.73 or 4.10 gears, limited slip, disc brakes, 31 spline axles.

LS- custom headers, custom oil pan, motor mounts, transmission won't fit. Seems like a lot of work to ruin a car! :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"