I'm rustman

Let everyone know a little about yourself
rustman

I'm rustman

Post by rustman »

I just bought a 65 Mercury Comet Caliente. I bought it with the idea of getting it to be a reliable driver, keep it for awhile and then sell it. I can see already that the selling part is probably not going to happen. My first concern is that someone cut off the left side export brace. I know they sell bolt on replacements but I would like to find or make something that is not so wide. I found some tubular aluminum ones but they have Heim joints and that seems like it would defeat the purpose. The originals are welded on. Thanks

Comechero65

Re: I'm rustman

Post by Comechero65 »

Cut out the other side stock brace and add the aftermarket export brace. It will give you better access to the mc and rear area of the engine on the drivers side. Should you add a brake booster that well make a big difference. I think the export brace is stronger and better than the tubular braces but that's my opinion. Many will argue that point but that's mine.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome to the forum! :D The aftermarket export brace is only 2 3/8'' wide, & does not have the same angles as the stock braces. so about half the width & at a different angle it doesn't get in the way on either side & is stronger than the stock braces. most guys weld a brace where it bolts to the cowl. I think you would be happy with it. but it needs to be one for a falcon/comet, mustang one wont fit.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! I'm with Ron and John on the bolt-in export brace. They're inexpensive and shaped so they don't interfere with the mc or access to other parts of the engine. Is your car equipped with a dual mc and/or power brake booster? If so, that's probably why the left brace is missing. It was in the way, so they just removed it. $68 on ebay with free shipping. :D http://www.ebay.com/itm/Export-Brace-Pa ... TQ&vxp=mtr

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Comechero65 wrote:Cut out the other side stock brace and add the aftermarket export brace. It will give you better access to the mc and rear area of the engine on the drivers side. Should you add a brake booster that well make a big difference. I think the export brace is stronger and better than the tubular braces but that's my opinion. Many will argue that point but that's mine.
Ron
you don't find a stamped export brace on a dirt track race car,,,they all have tublar braceing,,,,SO that's my opinion.....so argue that point,RON.......pop
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I'm not arguing just stated an opinion.
Maybe race cars do Im sure they use what they can and maybe easier to work around or to get off and out of the way quicker for an engine change, who knows. Not saying they are wrong, it's their choice and they have their reasons.
Ironically falcons and mustangs when they were running in europian rallys back then had the export brace and mustangs when they were shipped to germany as the T5 also had the export brace factory installed. They must have worked in the Rally cars otherwise they would have dropped them for something else. Must have been something good about them for them to be used then. Maybe the tubular braces hadn't been invented yet so not any other choice back then. or if they had maybe they weren't dependable yet.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Comechero65 wrote:I'm not arguing just stated an opinion.
Maybe race cars do Im sure they use what they can and maybe easier to work around or to get off and out of the way quicker for an engine change, who knows. Not saying they are wrong, it's their choice and they have their reasons.
Ironically falcons and mustangs when they were running in europian rallys back then had the export brace and mustangs when they were shipped to germany as the T5 also had the export brace factory installed. They must have worked in the Rally cars otherwise they would have dropped them for something else. Must have been something good about them for them to be used then. Maybe the tubular braces hadn't been invented yet so not any other choice back then. or if they had maybe they weren't dependable yet.
Ron
what is the name of that book you have for all your info ?? I'd like to have one...pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Welcome Rustman.

My braces will come out and get replaced with something else when I get to cutting on the car because I will have no shock towers, probably will build something because I really think you need them there to prevent side loads from flexing and bending stuff.

I know this has been discussed and I really did not chime in much because I am not that smart :roll: but even if you have heim joints on the ends they would not flex like a hinge because they are triangulating across from firewall to fender (shock tower) with the final apex of the triangle being the fender to firewall that is a welded joint. a monte-carlo bar would only add one more triangle into the mix and make it stronger. But them again I can be way wrong :P

I think that if you had a couple of these on there with rod ends attached you would be hard pressed to flex them or bend them in this kind of application.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-3621 ... 43412.html

Not saying the export brace is not strong and a perfectly suitable item, but for me they won't work but if I was not changing my front end so dramatically I would leave the stock one in there.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

popscomet wrote:
Comechero65 wrote:I'm not arguing just stated an opinion.
Ron
what is the name of that book you have for all your info ?? I'd like to have one...pop
I have no particular book, i just read and aquire knowledge about cars. Are you saying I'm wrong? I'm not the only one who knows these things. I don't make this stuff up. You can try asking and you'll probably get similar answers. Go on some of the falcon and mustang forums and ask and you'ld be surprised what you can learn. There are some who know a lot more than me. I just feel fortunate to know some of the facts.

In case you didn''t know falcons did very well in europian rally races. Same goes for the mustangs. And they all ran export braces. And the ford didn't sell mustangs in Germany with any labels or marking calling them 'Mustangs' because someone else held the name mustang under patent and ford would have had to pay royalties to use the name. So ford instead of paying royalties removed all the labels and name MUSTANG and replaced it with T5. If you don't believe this then ask someone who knows the history of the mustang and falcons.
Ron

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I think Rustman has gotten the info he needs and he can make the choice according with how he is going to drive his Comet.

My understanding is in most cases the aftermarket, bolt-in brace will be more than efficient and strong enough (or even an original weld in brace) but there is also the option of doing tubular and custom braces, if he so desires, which also would be strong enough.

I guess the only thing could be considered is the tubular braces could be poorly laid out and designed or made with inferior material so they would be worse than the factory designed model. JMO :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

RON ,I know all about the T5 stang and the success of the falcons and the export brace,,the can of worms got opened what you said on tublar braceing...that's it in a nut shell.....no more said on this subject from here on out, ...either send me a pm or keep it to yourself....you don't impress me anymore then I impress you..........we took over a man's thread when we had no right to do so....
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

We didn't take over his thread, he asked a question and we answered it. Everyone does it all the time but i guess that is only good enough for you and others. If I add my comments I'm wrong or out of line. Kind if two-faced attitude isn't it??
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Comechero65 wrote:We didn't take over his thread, he asked a question and we answered it. Everyone does it all the time but i guess that is only good enough for you and others. If I add my comments I'm wrong or out of line. Kind if two-faced attitude isn't it??
Ron
HAVE a nice day RON....thank you....POP
pop/glenda