A woman on a restoration mission!

Let everyone know a little about yourself
JennChen

A woman on a restoration mission!

Post by JennChen »

Hello all. First time classic car owner, though I've been dying to get one since I was 15. I found a great deal on a 1963 Mercury Comet Custom 4-door sedan up in Austin that was miraculously intact with all exterior trim, mostly original interior, original glass, etc., despite several previous owners. I bought it in Nov 2017, and I've been making bits of progress since then. Working on a resto-mod by putting in new suspension, a crate V8, upgraded to the C4 transmission, new rear end, and disc brakes. She may look like a demure sedan, but she's gonna have some attitude! :D

Since this is my first attempt at really ANY car work, overall, I have very little knowledge of what I'm doing. Fortunately for me, I have a patient husband, Ryan, plus my neighbor Joey and my coworker Nick who have classics and are willing and able to help me! Everyone starts somewhere, and this was a fantastic and beautiful find that I look forward to being able to use as a semi-daily driver and generally a fun car for piling the kids and the dogs in to go for a ride.

I'm trying to make this a fast-paced resto-mod. As an active duty Air Force officer currently in San Antonio, TX, I know I will have to move again, and I'd rather DRIVE my car to a new duty station rather than trailering a decade-long project car. Since this year and model were relatively rare, I have run into some dead ends as far as finding Mercury-specific parts, that hopefully some people in this forum might know where I can hunt.
Thanks everyone!
Jenn

poboyjo65

Re: A woman on a restoration mission!

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on & thank you for your service! :D
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! I did some searching for your backup lens on your other post, but came up empty. Bmmaurer (forum member) has a lot of 63 stuff for sale, though it's for a convertible, and I didn't see backup lenses, but there may be something else you need. Check it out here: http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... 15&t=15063
Good luck!
Jim

JennChen

Post by JennChen »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Welcome aboard! I did some searching for your backup lens on your other post, but came up empty. Bmmaurer (forum member) has a lot of 63 stuff for sale, though it's for a convertible, and I didn't see backup lenses, but there may be something else you need. Check it out here: http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... 15&t=15063
Good luck!
Jim
Hi Jim! Thank you for looking for those, and thanks for the lead! I'm follow up with Bmmaurer for a couple little things I'm looking for: back up lenses, mercury script for hood, lock covers, etc.

Jenn

comethead

Post by comethead »

Good luck Jenn and Ryan!
63 is ancient technology (read: easy peasy to work on) so it’s a matter of planning patience and execution.

I’d recommend getting the Ford/Mercury shop manual for your car. And also remember a Comet is a Falcon and in later years a Mustang so many parts interchange.

Welcome to the forum!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

LENYM

Post by LENYM »

Hi there is a yard here in Helena Montana that has some 1963 Comets with a lot of parts, A and B Wrecking 1-406-458-5524 good luck. Leny Mason