Not much room for headers...

Let everyone know a little about yourself
thatutahguy

Not much room for headers...

Post by thatutahguy »

Greetings. Finally decided If I was going to have a car that was different and little hard to find parts for, I should probably join a forum. I have a 64 convertible with the 289. I am retrofitting a power rack and pinion steering and things got a little crazy when the exhaust cross over pipe was right in the way. I cut it off and this is my excuse to go to dual exhaust. The outlet of that driver's side manifold is right in the middle of it. If it was pointing out the back like the right hand side, there would be no problem. Here is my question: Will any manifold with the exhaust pointing out the back work? Will any mustang 289 manifold work? Are there some aftermarket tube exhaust headers that will work in that super tight area? Please give me your thoughts, and thanks for your help.

poboyjo65

Re: Not much room for headers...

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! I heard a maverick exhaust manifold will work. I'm sure someone who has done it will speak up. :D
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

Maxine and Me

Post by Maxine and Me »

Yeah, stock '64 Comets don't exactly have the roomiest engine bays for V8s...

-A '64 260 V8 Comet owner

Maxine and Me

Post by Maxine and Me »

Also, Welcome to Comet Central! Glad to have you on board! If you've ever got a question about your Comet, this is the best place to find your answer. I had trouble finding '64 tie rod end replacements for months before I joined this site, but these guys helped me out in just a couple days!

comethead

Post by comethead »

Yes any year V8 maverick driver side exhaust manifold will work. It narrows at the shock tower just like the stock manifold does and points to the rear.
I have one installed in my 65 with dual exhaust and 4 speed.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D Take a look about 2/3 the way down this page and there's an excellent pic of a Maverik/Granada driver's side manifold.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... old#p69279
May give you an idea whether it would solve your problem.
Jim