65 comet 404

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Mikeb

65 comet 404

Post by Mikeb »

Hi
First time user. Just purchased 65 comet 404 what a great looking car. But I want to make a few mods and was hoping someone could help. Here are the questions l need help with
1. How can I raise the rear end to level it out
2. Change the single exhaust to twin ( stock v8 )
3. Biggest rims and tires without body mods
4. Any simple engine mods to give a little more power
Not interested in speed just want it to look and sound good. A sheep in wolfs clothing if you like
Thanks for any tips in advance pics and websites would be great

poboyjo65

Re: 65 comet 404

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D Cheapest way to raise the rear is airshocks. new leafsprings would raise it up, but a little more money & lot more work. straight pipes out to the back would wake up the neighbors. or cherrybombs would muffle it some. if you want more power but not so much speed you could lower the gear ratio,it would make it take off faster & spin tires easier but have less top end.
Btw ,I have a set of airshocks that came off my car,they held air good,& the little airlines are still on them,I didnt take it off. I'd take 20 & shipping for them.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

WELCOME!
Ya gears make them fun!
Don't know how low the car is but have you considered leveling the car by bringing the front down?
I use really short tires (185-60x14s) on the lowered front to get most of the rake.
Don't know what rear tires would work on your car.
Muffler change alone may get you the wolf sound your after.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! Like John said, air shocks are the easiest/cheapest way to lift the rear. And $20 + shipping is cheap. I've bought parts from John before, and it's good stuff. Unless you have a lift and know how to weld, the easiest route to dual exhaust is to take it to a muffler shop. As for sound, that's in the ear of the beholder. There are opinions on mufflers on the forum. You might try searching "muffler" or "exhaust" on the Comet Lounge or year model threads. As to wheel and tire size, it depends to some degree on the how the car sits. The higher, the more you can get under it. Mine sits a little on the high side, and I've got 15x7x3.75BS TTII's on the front and rear, with 235/60/15s on the rear and and 215/65/15s on the front. I do have some rubbing issues on the front, which may be resolved when I replace the front springs, but in retrospect, I probably should have gone with 205s on the front. As to engine mods for power, bolt-on changes that wouldn't involve internal mods would probably be a 4V manifold and carb, and an electronic distributor. Again, some searching of the forum could give you some leads. Some other guys on here may have some recommendations. Don't be shy with questions. We're all willing to help.
Jim