First Car! '64 Caliente

Let everyone know a little about yourself
gilly

First Car! '64 Caliente

Post by gilly »

Hiya y'all.

I've been looking for a unique and fun older car for my first, but also needed something dependable. Along came a near-perfect condition '64 Caliente with around 30,000 miles and 3 previous owners. She runs pretty darn smooth as it is, but we're working on making her as dependable and efficient as possible before I'm off to college in a year. I'm new and clueless to cars, and especially restoration, but my father has worked on cars his whole life and he's guiding me through this process.

The first few things on our to-do list is switching out the brakes, as I'm having a rough time with the brakes at the minute, and switching out the engine, planning on going to a 302. Theres quite a few other things to do, including some appearance things, as I'm sure I'll want a good-looking car in college, and her seats are a little rough :lol:.

She's coming home today, and I figure I'll be around asking for advice in a few weeks, so I'd go ahead and say hi!

Here she is!

poboyjo65

Re: First Car! '64 Caliente

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on!!!! brakes are the best thing to fix first!!! :D
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

My '64 Comet was my first car as well, Dad wouldn't turn me loose on the road until I fixed the brakes, after what felt like an eternity of working on the brakes every day I finally got the dad seal of approval :roll: :P

Welcome to the Forum and ask away when you need help, someone will always be here to give direction and advice.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you've got the optimal set-up: a dad who knows how to work on cars and is willing to help, and a deep bench of guys on this forum that are willing and able to provide all the info you need. We've also got a very active member in the KC area, Rocket989, who's been working on a really cool 64 build that is fashioned after the famous African safari endurance cars. I'm sure he'll chime in here soon with comments and advice. Glad to have you! :D
Jim