Hello everyone happy to be part of the group

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Kidcomet64

Hello everyone happy to be part of the group

Post by Kidcomet64 »

Just purchased my second 64 comet (first one was a dour door back in 1979) this one pictured here i just bought 4 days ago outta hazel park michigan . first job is that tailgate. Im confused about these doors, wagon doors and 4 door sedan doors are different is this correct? sorry having trouble with pics

poboyjo65

Re: Hello everyone happy to be part of the group

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If you use the medium BB code it will show us the pics without having to click on your links. the ''full'' BB code is too big sometimes
Johno

Kidcomet64

Post by Kidcomet64 »

thanks

loman

Post by loman »

Nice ride. Wagons are cool!

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Love the wagons man. I can't remember off-hand if the doors are the same or not (sedan/wagon)... Looks like a decent chunk of work, but...Comets are awesome!! :D :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

BJB

Post by BJB »

Kidcomet64 wrote:Just purchased my second 64 comet (first one was a dour door back in 1979) this one pictured here i just bought 4 days ago outta hazel park michigan . first job is that tailgate. Im confused about these doors, wagon doors and 4 door sedan doors are different is this correct? sorry having trouble with pics

Rear doors?
The early Comet wagon rear doors, like their Falcon wagon cousins have different rear doors to their sedans. The wagon rear door frame is square compared to the sedan . The shape of the sedan C pillar determines the shape. Google some images for clarity.

My experience relates to early Falcons where by the front doors are interchangeable between the four door sedan and wagon but not the rears. We never got the Comet down here but they basically share the same DNA as a Falcon.

Bruce.
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

Kidcomet64

Post by Kidcomet64 »

Ya i been looking at pics an i see the back doors are different the window frame anyhow,i also see the wheelbase is a bit shorter too. I love working on this car its so basic even i can fix it

BJB

Post by BJB »

Kidcomet64 wrote:Ya i been looking at pics an i see the back doors are different the window frame anyhow,i also see the wheelbase is a bit shorter too. I love working on this car its so basic even i can fix it
When the first Falcons were produced here Ford Australia shortened the overall length of the utility ( Ranchero) and the wagons from the US design to be the exact same length as the sedans. The wheel base was the same on the us Falcon as the sedan but I believe the extra length of the wagon/ranchero was due to more rear overhang. I think this is the same as for the early Comet but I am not entirely sure. So your comet may have the same wheelbase as the sedan and it could be extra sheet metal behind the axle line. Perhaps and standing by to be flamed. :)

Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

BJB wrote:
Kidcomet64 wrote:Ya i been looking at pics an i see the back doors are different the window frame anyhow,i also see the wheelbase is a bit shorter too. I love working on this car its so basic even i can fix it
When the first Falcons were produced here Ford Australia shortened the overall length of the utility ( Ranchero) and the wagons from the US design to be the exact same length as the sedans. The wheel base was the same on the us Falcon as the sedan but I believe the extra length of the wagon/ranchero was due to more rear overhang. I think this is the same as for the early Comet but I am not entirely sure. So your comet may have the same wheelbase as the sedan and it could be extra sheet metal behind the axle line. Perhaps and standing by to be flamed. :)
Bruce

Here are the numbers for 65s ,pretty sure 64s are close to the same
.............wagon- wheel base - 109.5'' -overall length- 191.8
all other comets- wheel base - 114'' - overall length - 195.3''
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D
Jim