Introducing myself and Comet Question

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Stanlep

Introducing myself and Comet Question

Post by Stanlep »

Many years ago I belonged to a Yahoo Comet discussion group. I don't know how it happened, but I just sort of drifted away. Could this group be the transformation of the previous one? It was probably in the 1990's when I was a member of the group.

I drove a two door sedan 1963 Comet for 18 years. I bought three Comet bodies in the hopes of restoring one of them. Two 1963's and one 1962. My original had been in an accident and so the chassis was not in good shape. However, I am too old to restore any now.

Around 1992 there was an ad in the newspaper (this was before the internet where one could still find some good bargains in the papers) of someone selling a four door sedan Comet. He was asking $700, but during the phone conversation he, on his own, dropped the price $200. It was in almost perfect shape and everything worked. I drove this for a few years until the Mercomatic started leaking so bad that I decided I either needed to restore it or one of my 1963 bodies. I asked myself which would be the quickest? Since the '64 was already running I felt it would be quicker. It was not. It took years. I wish I had restored the 1963 because that is the one I really wanted to drive.

Anyway, when I restored the 1964 Comet I carefully installed the door weather stripping. Even though I was very careful, the doors still leaked. After a number of years after the weather stipping started to deteriorate and come lose, I took it to a classic car place to get a good job done. I won't divulge the name of the business. The person who worked on it was ignorant of how the stripping should follow the contour of the door and I had to show him. Also, he did a sloppy job. When I got it back I had to, with white gas, clean up all the black adhesive that was slopped everywhere.

After a second bout of installing the door weatherstripping, the doors still leak. It appears installing weather stripping on 1964 Comet cars is difficult. Has anyone experienced this and found a way to do it right? It is ironic that the original weatherstripping, even though it was deteriorating, was not leaking.
Stan

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Introducing myself and Comet Question

Post by lavron »

Welcome to the Forum Stan.
Stanlep wrote:Many years ago I belonged to a Yahoo Comet discussion group. I don't know how it happened, but I just sort of drifted away. Could this group be the transformation of the previous one?
It is not but you may find people here that were there as well, many helpful folks frequent this forum.

I can't help with your weatherstrip question but I am interested to see the responses because I will be doing mine sometime in the future.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome aboard! :D you may be talking about the ''Comet list'' , has a lot of comet east members ;
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Com ... Y3ODM3NQ--
you may need a yahoo email address to get it.

I use super yellow by 3M or other brands that are similar usually with the word yellow in the name.they have black too. it seems to stay soft but sticks good. but cant be kinda rolled off if needed though it is tedious. Only reason I can think of why it would leak is placed in the wrong area or door isnt adjusted proper or the latch ,,,to squeeze the weather stripping which would allow a gap for water to get in.
Johno

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Welcome to the group Stan, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, Stan! :D Try applying a thin film of liquid detergent on the rubber door seal, then close the door like normal. Open it back up and inspect the door to see where the soap transferred (or didn't transfer) to the door. That should tell you where its leaking and give some hints as to why. The soap can be washed off with water. Good luck! :D

Jim