New and need help for my dad - 73 Comet GT

Let everyone know a little about yourself
pmricken

New and need help for my dad - 73 Comet GT

Post by pmricken »

Hi, everyone. I appreciate you allowing me to join the forum. I'm in a unique situation...I'm 38 years old, my dad is 67 yr-old pastor, and he's been diagnosed with cancer. He has a 73 GT that he began work on a few years ago. He and my mom had a 73 Maverick as their first car when they got married so he's always wanted another, but he fell in love with this Comet when he saw it. Long story short, it's been stripped down, rotisserie (sp) restored cosmetically, original 302 completely rebuilt to a 331 Stroker, transmission fully built with shift kit etc, but there it sits. The engine's on a stand, transmission sitting to the side, and NOTHING else has been done. I'd love to begin work on it and surprise him with it, but I'm having a hard time with resources for upgraded (new) parts, ie new upgraded wiring kit, suspension advice, interior resources, etc.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I would really appreciate so help/advice. I'm assuming that wiring/suspension needs to be done before the engine/transmission go back in the car. Please feel free to shoot over any resources (parts vendors), advice, etc. By the way, it's an original white car with hood scoop (black inset on the hood), black tail panel, orange side stripe with "Comet GT" in the rear quarter portion of the stripe, and orange interior with bucket seats (including original orange headliner). Beautiful car, just need help to finish it for him. Thanks!!!

Philip

Jims65cyclone

Re: New and need help for my dad - 73 Comet GT

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, Phillip! :D Sounds like you've got a really neat car in the making. I'm sure your dad will appreciate your efforts. Here are some sources for wiring harness kits:
https://americanautowire.com/
https://www.painlessperformance.com/custom/
https://www.summitracing.com/search/bra ... iring-kits

You mention you need suspension advice and interior resources, etc. If you can be more specific, some folks may be able to chime in here. Also, pics are a huge help. Start a build thread in the 71-77 Comets section so we can all follow your progress. That would be the place to give us some background, post some pics, keep us posted on your progress and ask for input and advice. Actually, you'll get advice and opinions whether you ask for them or not, and some are actually helpful. :lol: :lol: Good luck, and hook us on your project!

Jim

pmricken

Re: New and need help for my dad - 73 Comet GT

Post by pmricken »

Thanks so much for the info, Jim! LOVE your car...that is beautiful.

I need to get some pics so folks can weigh in. It's basically a painted shell right now, so everyone would definitely be able to see everything about the build. LOL

I'll research the wiring resources you provided and thanks again!

Philip